“Anything to drink?”

“She’ll have a double thick chocolate milkshake and can I get a Coke.”

“Sure thing.”

As soon as she left Matt blurted out, “So what’s wrong with you?”

I looked at him, confused, “Uh, nothing why?”

“You’ve been quiet since I picked you up.” He said, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

“You do realise that I have to sit on the sand the whole time we there right, in these clothes. Not taking them off, not getting a tan. Not swimming. Not having fun...” I rambled on.

His brows frowned, and he looked confused for about a minute before realisation struck.

O, he mouthed.

“Hey look, I’m sorry; I guess I didn’t think of that.”

“No you didn’t.” he took out his phone and dialled a number, raising the phone to his ear.

“What are you doing?” I asked quickly.

“Phoning Keaghan and telling him we’re not going anymore.”

“No, don’t do that.” I said, snatching the phone from his ear, and cutting the call.

“Why?”

“Because, I said I will try to and I sure as hell am going to try.” I said dismissively.

“But Scar…”’ He began.

“Just leave it, oh look here’s our food and drinks.”

He knew not to press the subject.

So we ate and made our way to the beach.

****

The drive to the beach was great, Matt and I sang along to some of our favourite song, and he made me laugh with his terrible singing.

One of the things I liked about Matt is that he didn’t ask a million and one questions when I was upset, he didn’t press the subject. He waited for me to be ready to talk to him and if I took too long then he would say anything.

But he always knew how to make me feel better, to loosen me up.

Wait, since I wasn’t actually upset, there was something going on.

Firstly, he took me for breakfast, even though he ate at home, I know he didn’t need more food, and then this whole, lets act like two crazy teenagers.

I looked at him with a raised eyebrow, folding my arms so that he knew I meant business.

“Spill.”

We had gotten out the car now and already looking for Keaghan.

He looked away guilty, “Well,” he began, “Uh, so Keaghan may or may not have invited Kylie.”

My eyes bulged out of their sockets.

“This is your fault.”

“My fault how?” he asked, narrowing his eyes.

“You! Could have told Keaghan why the hell not. I don’t want to be anywhere near her!”

“Scar.”

“Let’s go right now!” I was being dramatic; I knew I was, like a three year old kid throwing a tantrum.

“We can’t.” he said quietly.