Chapter 20

"... Now you're in each other's face spewing venom in your words when you spit 'em

You push, pull each other's hair, scratch, claw, bit 'em

Throw 'em down, pin 'em, so lost in the moments when you're in 'em

Chapter 20

I woke up smiling, I could feel Cole's gaze on me but we were not wrapped up like we had been when we fell asleep, he had shifted a little space away from me so that we were no longer touching.

My heart dropped, the smile I woke up in had now disappeared and was replaced by a thin line.

I reached out for him but he moved, so that I wouldn't lay a finger on him. I frowned in confusion, yes I was still in his bed, I was at his house where I remembered him being more himself last night, a night that I had enjoyed and we laughed and joked and had fun together, where I reached out to him and he showed that he cared , but now he seemed unreachable.

I peeked at him through my half opened eyes and his face was set in stone, a small scowl crossed his face.

"I see you're finally awake."Cole said, his words laced with venom no matter how calmly he spoke, I knew this tone well, the calm before the storm and it always made the hairs at the back of my neck stand up.

I somehow thought that it wouldn't come to this, I was hoping that it wouldn't be this weekend when I was still broken from the end of my friendship from with Matt, not when it was this raw, when I needed Cole the most.

I sighed at the realisation of the situation, "Morning Cole."I said, getting up so that I was in a sitting position making myself level with him, gripping the sheet firmly to my chest as I was still naked.

Cole got up off the bed, revealing that he was in a pair of boxers already and threw me his t-shirt, which I slipped on still wondering what I had done now. I was still groggy from sleep and I couldn't say, as I noticed his clenched fists that I was prepared to deal with this Cole.

His gaze was still on me and the intensity of it burned, making me cower under it.

"Explain this to me." he said, throwing my phone to me.

"It's my phone."I said in a 'duh' tone, which wasn't very clever on my part.

He snatched the phone out of my hand and grabbed my shoulder, lifting my up to his level in, I cringed under his tight grasp, knowing this would definitely leave a bruise as his nails, even though he kept them short, dug into me.

I kneeled down on the bed, and he grabbed my chin roughly, "Look!" he showed me the screen on my phone that had know been lighted, it was a text message.

I read it awkwardly because he had the screen right in front of my eyes.

It read: hey Scar! What's happening?, are we still up for a surfing session, let me know, looking forward to spending time with you xo Keaghan

My eyes went wide in shock, firstly how did he get my number and secondly he made it sound like a date, and thirdly, the combination of the first and second reason only fed Cole's jealously which in turn fed his anger.

"What's going on Scarlett?" he spat out my name in disgust, "Are you cheating on me?"

I didn't answer, I was getting quite pissed off with this conversation, it happened almost everyday, if a guy looked at me the wrong way it was an issue, if he so much as nodded in my direction I get the brunt of it, I'm his punching bag. I was getting pissed off with all the constant reassurance I had to give him, all the apologies and I had done nothing wrong.

"No."I finally said, my voice now no more scared that he might do something, rather it was laced with anger although it did not match his.

"No?" He repeated my answer in a questioning tone, "No?"

He let go of me, throwing me against the wall and as my back came into contact with the cold wall I did not cry out in pain, I bit my tongue, I just stared at him in disbelief as he then threw my phone at me with such force that it picked up speed and I had no time to duck, so it hit me on the side of my head. I couldn't help a yelp that escaped my lips.

This only angered him more and he grabbed my hair, dragging my closer to him and as I looked into his murderous eyes I saw nothing, just a grey circle of nothing, he was empty, it was like he wasn't himself.

I did something then that was out of character, brought my hand up and slapped Cole with all my might. I watched in satisfaction and his head turned from the blow, he kept it there from shock and I took the opportunity to punch his jaw, feeling the pain in my fist but I smiled still, knowing that no matter how little the pain I made him feel, it was still pain.

He rubbed his jaw and he looked at me, staring me down and I tried my best to keep the gaze and not falter.

As I looked at him he brought his hand up and slapped me, I fell to the side. I could feel blood dripping down the side of my face, I touched the spot where the phone hit me and saw blood on my hand, I looked at it confused, "What the fuck?" I said loudly.

"What the fuck? This is the only thing you're going to say? Is it true are you cheating on me?" He said, more to himself then to me I was about to respond but he cut me off.

"Of course you're cheating, you're a fucking whore!" He said loudly and pulled me off the bed, I hit the floor with a loud thump.

"You bitch!" he shouted.

I wonder why I wasn't begging him to stop, was it because I was so used to this? Or was it because I didn't care anymore? He might as well kill me and I would be perfectly fine with that.

He started kicking me while I was down something I was use to too. I didn't even cry in pain as my ribs broke again., as his kicked my face.

How much pain can one take before they have had enough?

I could feel myself drifting, black spots appeared and I welcomed them, anything but this.

I could feel myself drifting from consciousness and before I let the darkness consume me, I thought, this wasn't the Cole I fell in love with, the one that held me at night lovingly, the one that cared for me and tried to treat me well. Instead,

This was a monster.

***

Hey guys!!!

I know this is short but I have a good reason, I wanted to foucus on this change in Cole, so do you get it? Is there anything that you need clearing up on?

I would haveposted this chapter soon but wattpadwas upgrading and doing maintence and I didn't want any problems.

I am alreadt starting on chapter and I'm glad that I found the motivation to write this story again, no more taking long to upload, unless I have to study or do assignments but I have more free time this semester but that doesn't mean that I don't have prior commitments to see to.

Thank you all so much for fanning and reading and voting and commenting it truely means a lot to me that you have taken the time to do so!

Anyway, enough rambling from me.

Enjoy the rest of the story.