Signs

I am using the term werewolf collectively, meaning this is about both werewolves and lycans. In times past, it was especially difficult for a werewolf to manage and maintain a normal life, and this is a problem that continues on today. Meaning that many Lycanthropes end up homeless. As a result, they mix and mingle with hobos, bums, and tramps, borrowing hobo signs and adding their own symbols to create means of communication that could be understood on two legs and all fours, by all those who would need to know. As a result, some werewolf signs are direct congates with hobo signs, while others are completely unique, and others are modifications of previous signs. Some are derived from the appearance of preexisting objects, and some even may have roots in occult symbols. For instance, the symbol for unattended livestock is a roughly scratched shepherds crook lying down, while the symbol for silver, a crescent moon, seems alchemical in nature, and still the most common symbol for other large predators seems to be derived from the constellation Ursa major. The meaning of a symbol can be altered by flipping or rotating it. For instance the symbol for night, a full moon casting light downwards, can be inverted to indicate day time, and the rising sun. Complex ideas are conveyed through the interaction of multiple symbols, sometimes arraigned in a line like a sentence, other times by mixing and overlapping one another, similar to bind runes, and yet other instances by placing a symbol within another. How such signs are written and read vary from region to region. But are usually relatively easy to decipher upon context and the appearance.