EPILOGUE

Guards admitted Odon into the Black Keep just after midnight, at a time when most of Fort Tsunkai's soldiers—a term he used very loosely in regards to these laughable weaklings—were asleep, drunk, or rutting. He could have easily broken his way into the stronghold, but such an action risked him falling out of the magi's good graces. If he needed to wallow knee-deep in the dregs of their incompetence a little while longer to fulfill his masters' wishes, so be it.

They were still a tool, one that was not quite dull, as of yet.

An image of that silver-haired witch flared in his mind like fire.

That girl...who was she? He'd thought about her countless times. A shiver racked his spine at the memory of being forced away by the witch's voice alone, a magic his own abilities could not turn aside. The complete audacity of it was overwhelming. No living creature had enough power to do that to him, but she did it nonetheless. Perhaps it was a spirit? It's energy signature was somewhat familiar, yet alien. And that angered him. Not knowing.

Figuring out who that witch was would have to be a priority.

For now, Odon put these thoughts away and focused on the building that was currently affronting his person. This "Black Keep" was ghastly. The symmetry couldn't have been more plain, and the torches dotting its towering black walls must have been a way to intimidate foreigners, but it had the opposite effect on Odon. A chuckle passed his lips. Compared to Seskrit architecture, this poor excuse for a keep was primitive indeed.

"What's so amusing, Master Odon?"

Odon shifted his gaze to the staircase in front of him. Commander Vardinon strode into view and down the steps casually, snug in an open, double-breasted coat lined with fur, and beneath, a grey military uniform with salakite rods strapped to his belt. He carried himself with an authority rivaling that of Odon's own lords, however frail he may have been in comparison, and unlike the rest of these inbred savages, this man was certainly different.

"I am imagining the faces of first-time visitors walking through these halls," said Odon, the lie putrid on his tongue. He tried not letting it show by allowing himself a smile. "Your headquarters are quite impressive."

Vardinon inclined his head in thanks, puffing out several rings of smoke from a pipe hanging between his lips. It only took several moments for the entire corridor to be doused in the scent of burning tobacco, a smell Odon associated with damp urine. "Where's the girl?" he asked. "She's not with you."

Odon frowned. "Somewhere safe. The child could not make the journey here, unfortunately, but the mission went as I expected. The mercenary squad fulfilled their role, except your soldier—"

"Will be dealt with," cut in Vardinon. "I apologize for his betrayal."

"As well you should. What kind of men are you harboring here?"

The commander narrowed his eyes and the line of soldiers atop the staircase shuffled like unkempt hounds held back by invisible leashes. They weren't regular soldiers either. While they wore similar uniforms, their appearances varied by an assortment of items, from scarves to jewelry, no doubt usually prohibited by the military's dress code. These soldiers must have been high-ranking captains. Why bring them here as bodyguards?

Did they know about Odon's true intentions? No. Surely not.

"He is an outlier," said Vardinon, a hint of disgust to his voice. "It is truly a shame we must execute our only enlisted blood ghoul, but it can't be helped. The boy conspired with humans and witches, and such treachery must not be allowed to fester." He took a long drag from his pipe, then blew out threw his nostrils. "Come, we have much to discuss."

Vardinon turned his back and headed up the stairs.

Odon followed him into the conference chamber, a room he's only ever been in once, while the captains remained outside. However, he noticed they didn't close the doors. It seemed they didn't trust him still. Smart. The commander walked past divans, a bar complete with a diverse array of wine and spirits, and an incredibly detailed replica of the connected hidden magi cities. He sunk into a cushioned chair at the end of a planning table and gestured to another chair.

Odon ignored the offer.

The commander shrugged, then let the silence linger a moment as he puffed his pipe. He finally gave Odon a contemptuous look. "I told you not to come until I called for you," he said. "You don't know our procedures. You could've been followed. My city's been put at risk because of you."

"I wasn't followed," said Odon. "I can assure you of that."

"You assure me of nothing. Now what is it?"

A flash of red rage burst over Odon's vision, and he could feel grains of crystal barnacling themselves within his fist. It took all of his willpower not to crush the man like the insect he was. Instead, he declared, "Eligos is dead."

Commander Vardinon simply stared. "You expect me to believe that?"

"I don't need you to believe anything," said Odon, giving up his exhaustingly courteous voice. "I'm merely here to inform you that the humans no longer have any way of closing the Black Mirror. You may advance your armies upon the Great Continents if you wish. Or don't, I don't care. I've fulfilled my job."

There had never been any way of closing the Black Mirror, but the commander hadn't needed to know that. The only way Odon had gotten the magi king involved in the first place had been to make him fear the re-imprisonment of the demons, which would have certainly stalled their efforts in wiping out humanity.

Vardinon nodded. He waved a hand.

Servants appeared quietly out of a side door and walked into the conference room in a neat line. Ten chests were laid across the floorboards, and one by one, wooden tops were lifted to reveal chips of gold. Five million, to be exact, if the commander remained true to his word. Odon grunted nonetheless. Magi coin meant nothing to him. He'd only been posing as a soldier of fortune to seem less suspicious, but he no longer had need to conceal his cover.

He was done bowing to these gutter rats.

"Something wrong?" asked Vardinon, brow raised. "Not enough?"

"It's plenty, but this hovel requires it more than I do. Good day."

Odon turned on his heel and headed towards the door. Before he could exit, a massive arm encased in chunks of earth blocked his way out. One of the captains, a giant of a man with a three-pronged beard, faced him, arm still raised. "You insolent whelp—"

Odon grabbed the man's ragged fist and dispersed the energy stitching it together. The dirt burst in a cloud of dust. He grabbed the captain's wrist and threw him over his shoulder. Wood exploded behind him, but he didn't glance back. He took a step and the captains moved to get in his way. Again.

"Stop!" called Vardinon's voice. "Let him go."

The smartest thing the man's said all night.

Sorely tempted to just kill all of them, Odon forced himself to calm his blood lust and resume walking down the Black Keep's corridor, feeling their eyes on his back. He still needed the commander and his lackeys, he needed them at full strength for their assault on the mainland. It would work in his favor.

"Was that wise, master?" asked a tiny voice. "Leaving that gold?"

Odon looked at the wall beside him where the voice was emanating, and a shimmer of a wispy figure glided through the black basalt. Of course, he hadn't completely underestimated the magi to leave Cyra behind. It'd been merely a precaution. "Who are you to question me, spirit?"

"It could have been useful," she replied.

Perhaps, but he'd never condescend to do so much as take their money, and transporting it would have been a headache Odon refused to endure. The magi's plans to eradicate the human pests and the demons themselves was payment enough. It was another excellent distraction while he went about his business.

"Go retrieve the child from the caged dimension," said Odon.

Cyra hummed something resembling a yes. "And after?"

"We dive into the demon's den."