CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

Despite the grumblings from Gwyn and Odon, Eriden had ended up joining the ragtag group. Inarhi kept her distance from the young mage, however, as they trudged through puddles and mud across the marshland world. He may have saved her, but she knew too much about blood ghouls to let down her guard.

Renowned for their parts in tales of blood and death—their descent into utter corruption and perversion of life—these uncommon men and women had been extraordinary healers, even warriors once. Blood ghouls always started out that way according to the myths. Until their lust for greater power changed them.

Going insane after exploring to many times into the mind's natural labyrinths had been the most common cause for their depravity. Other times, they had merely grown to enjoy the horrors they inflicted. Innocents brainwashed into murder, corpses manipulated, bones and blood used as weapons; these magi pushed a special branch of the earth element into regions never before imagined.

But Inarhi couldn't let this get in her way. If Astaroth could trust him, then Eriden probably hadn't turned, at least not yet. To her consternation, this little diversion had already caused a delay in their plans to make it to Nevaeh as well. She couldn't bear to think how many of her people were dead because of how long this mission was taking, how many cities have been destroyed.

It didn't help that Inarhi couldn't accurately keep track of time in the spirit world, as each new realm or sphere she passed into were governed by their own planetary cycles. Night and day came and went as often as blinking, It was impossible to know how many days had passed.

In only several hours, Odon led them out of the sound realm and into the edges of the water realm where he claimed Nevaeh was located. They crossed a world that rained forever, a land split by tumbling rivers, and another filled with nothing but fog. The shades of strange gods occasionally revealed themselves. Some wandering spirits simply watched them.

But the spirits weren't the only ones stealing glances at Inarhi. Eriden looked at her every now and again as if she wouldn't notice, until eventually, he closed the distance between them. Just like Inarhi knew he would. She sighed. Voicing her observations about his powers probably hadn't been a good idea, but sometimes her curiosity got the better of her. Now she would have to endure an interrogation. Better she make it quick.

"Let me guess," said Inarhi, keeping her eyes ahead as her boots crunched into the damp vegetation. "You're wondering how I know so much. How I know about blood ghouls, magic, or even why I can read your spell-work so easily."

Eriden's eyes widened, then he cleared his throat. "Those are...possibilities."

"Possibilities or certainties?" If the mage couldn't be upfront with her, why would she reveal her secrets? In fact, telling him anything at all was idiotic. Was she actually considering letting this stranger glimpse her heart? Her closest loved ones, besides Luna, hadn't even gotten the chance yet.

"Certainties, then," said Eriden.

Changing her mind, Inarhi held her tongue.

Eriden looked at her oddly again, but didn't press her on the matter. However, he did stay close by for a couple more hours as they passed through six other wet worlds. Gwyn and the magi walked up ahead, never turning back, but Astaroth gave Inarhi and Eriden a brief once-over, then ignored them. Just as Inarhi realized she had drifted a little further behind the others, the mage spoke up next to her.

"I never wanted to be part of this," he said quietly. He paused for a minute, arms folded into his battle robe. His eyes might have been blue, but they were faded, robbed of life and exuberance. Hollow. "I promised I wouldn't kill anymore.