CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

Inarhi followed the peculiar mage into a world with two suns. A pasture of golden wheat rose into her field of vision, the crops' beards lapping at the warm air and dusking sky. Green hills rolled back as far as the eye could see, and the chirp of birds and insects was lost in the wind's breathing.

Astaroth and Gwyn walked through the portal, shoulder to shoulder. Both looked ready to let loose tides of magic at the slightest threat to their persons, their eyes scanning every angle of their surroundings.

"Where have you brought us?" asked Inarhi.

She still didn't trust the white-haired man. After running from the mercenaries for so long now, another mage happened to have been in service to witches in the spirit world? She wasn't even sure if he was an actual spirit or not.

"A Siivalen-sanctioned dimension," said Odon, turning around. "We'll be safe here for now, and this is where we'll rest. The more stress you put your physical bodies through, the easier it'll be for your spirits to escape their shells."

Inarhi's heart lurched. "Rest? We don't have time for rest."

"You do if you want to keep your skin."

"My commander has charged us with finding a way to Nevaeh," came Gwyn's voice, "with haste, I must add. With those mercenaries yet at our heels, staying in one place too long isn't wise." Her purple gaze lingered on Inarhi, then flicked away with a roll of her eyes. "So I agree with the human."

Inarhi nearly became nauseous from shock. She never imagined she would see the day where the stubborn witch would take her side. Especially on such a sensitive issue such as this one. There was a first time for everything, she supposed.

"And I agree with the mage," stepped in Astaroth.

Both Inarhi and Gwyn rounded on the spirit god.

Astaroth didn't bat an eye. "We won't be able to complete the mission if you lose your bodies," she said, a slight edge to her echoing voice. "It would be best if you two listened to reason."

Inarhi's anger deepened. "Reason. That's funny, because completing the mission will be pointless if my home is wiped out by the time we get to Nevaeh. A little more risk is negligible. We're so close."

Ahead, a bushel of wheat rustled loudly.

Inarhi tensed, and Gwyn flared her nexus.

Out stepped a lion, parts of its body encrusted with rough, grey stone. A growl rumbled deep within its chest, making Inarhi's bones vibrate. She held her breath as its tail flicked from side to side, its snout wrinkling back to reveal massive, yellow-stained canines.

Only several feet behind the angry beast, another lion rose above the field of wheat on two hind legs. Inarhi assumed at least. This one was three times larger, and in a way, more graceful. It stood in a refined, proud manner, while its silver fur bristled with hostility. There was an intelligence dwelling within its pale blue eyes.

Inarhi exhaled. She could even smell the fear in her breath.

"Who are they, Uncle?" asked a tiny voice.

The silver lion's mane of black hair parted, and a little girl's face appeared. It looked like she was sitting on the creature's shoulder. She brushed away more strands of the lion's tresses, frowning, and cocked her head.

"They're guests," said Odon. He glanced down. "Calm your fury, Inu."

The smaller lion's growling ceased, and its muscles relaxed.

As did Inarhi's. She narrowed her eyes, staring at the girl and her beasts. "I should be asking you the same question," she said, directing her question at Odon. There was something strange going on. "You didn't mention them."