CHAPTER FIVE

Inarhi and Luna walked down the palace's staircase, the black-robed witches below parting before them like a dark lake rippling. The human and wiccan army were in a suspended deadlock and the threat of violence hung in the air. Inarhi still had to convince Alistair that she was going to be a hostage. It wouldn't be easy.

The last row of witches moved aside, revealing the general at the fore of an imperial legion. "Since you've returned safely, I'm guessing the mission's been accomplished?" asked Alistair, his smile tugging at his white beard. "The emperor will be pleased."

Inarhi shook her head. "Not as pleased as you'd think."

"What's that supposed to mean?" he asked, his face darkening. A hand found the hilt of his rapier and he locked eyes with Zaltana as she was led through the crowd by an escort of Saints. "Surely you made the witch our hostage? That was the plan."

"The queen will still be the empire's captive. That hasn't changed. But due to unforeseen circumstances, I had to...improvise. I've made a decision that's best for the empire." She breathed and hardened her resolve. "I'm going to be the Imigi's hostage."

"That's not very amusing, Mistress," growled Alistair. When Inarhi didn't say anything, his eyes widened. "Why...why would you agree to such an arrangement without the blessing of the emperor? And with these witches?" He spat out the last word like venom, lips trembling with apparent rage. "You let this happen, Luna?"

"It's not her fault," said Inarhi, stepping in front of her bodyguard. "I'm doing this for my people. To protect them, even if I have to throw myself in the fire to do so. This is my choice. I'm sorry, Uncle."

Alistair stared for several seconds, then his frown deepened. "You're ignoring your real duties as an heir to the throne and flagrantly endangering your life. I have no patience for your nonsense. Not this time." He waved a hand. "Men, apprehend her."

Four soldiers broke from the army, but stopped short. The clay tiles beneath Inarhi shivered and quaked, then broke apart as hundreds of scarlet flowers emerged from the ground. Each flower had four long petals speckled black and were cushioned by clusters of deep-green leaves. Luna lifted her spear and froze. Inarhi looked at her bodyguard and a glimmering shard of obsidian was pressed against Luna's throat, clutched by a gangly green vine that had also ripped through the pavement.

"Damn witches," muttered Luna, sweat glistening her face.

Lillias walked through the sea of witches, one hand raised, a Matrix glowing at the tip of her forefinger. The small, circular pentagram hung in the air and Inarhi held her breath. It was the first time she had ever seen one in person.

Imelda appeared at Lillias's side. "We're done negotiating," she said, voice low and menacing. Static licked across the fabric of her robe and danced along her fingertips. "Your princess has already made her decision, and my queen's in your custody. As far as I'm concerned, the girl's already a hostage. She's ours now."

Alistair's army reacted to the release of magic as the scrape of steel over leather filled the air. Multi-barreled cannons atop the war gondolas swiveled to action and musket units shuffled into rows. The Imigi responded in kind. Red energy nexuses flared to life beneath every witch, while a troupe of warriors near a waterway at the back of the courtyard lifted their arms and tendrils of water slid into the air. They swished them side to side, like tails of angry cats.

"So you're an earth adept," said Inarhi, heart beating fast as the flowers enveloped her feet and the floor around her. "What are these things? You're not just doing some gardening, I'm guessing?"

Lillias shook her head. "These are vivander blossoms. The milky white sap that flows from these shrubs are poisonous if ingested, though I think you're smart enough not eat them."