Chapter Twelve:

Ruka (1)

Sokka and I were out trying to find food. All we found were some nuts which didn't even seem edible. We made or way back to our little camp ground - Sokka was holding the small bag that held the nuts.

When Aang saw us, he smiled and jumped off the tree trunk he was laying on, "Great, you're back! What's for dinner?"

Sokka and I kneeled down in front of Katara, Aang joined us. Sokka opened the bag and put his hand in, "We've got a few options. First, round nuts. And some kind of oval shaped nuts," he pulled out the nuts one by one, "and some rock shaped nuts, that might just be rocks." Sokka threw it back. I groaned as I felt my stomach growl. I rubbed it with my hands, "I know honey, I don't like them either."

"Dig in!" Sokka smiled. Aang and Katara picked one up and looked at each other. "Seriously, what else you got?" Katara asked. Sokka peeked into the bag, and I yanked it from him. "Nothing! We need to find some real food."

Before they could answer, we heard a huge boom. "What was that?!" Sokka's voice got higher. We stayed quiet and waited to see if we would hear it again. And we did, except it was much louder than the first. "It's coming from over there!" Aang pointed to where the sound was heard. I stood up, "Come on!"

I ran towards the noise, and Katara and Aang followed. "Shouldn't we run away from huge booms, not toward them?!" Sokka yelled from behind us. We got behind and a large tree trunk and laid low. Sokka finally joined us.

We saw a guy maybe the same age as me, or a year older. He was in a deep, empty path that seemed to hold water before. There was still water in some cracks, so that's where I got the idea. He earth bended a huge boulder from the ground, picking it up and throwing it to the other side of the empty path.

"An earth bender." Katara said. "Let's go meet him." Aang smiled. As I was going to stand up, Sokka grabbed my arm and pulled me down gently, "he looks dangerous, so we better approach cautiously."

Katara and I looked at eachother and rolled our eyes. We stood up from behind the trunk and walked toward the guy. Katara cupped her hands around her mouth, "Hello there! I'm Katara!" He turned his head to us. "And this is my sister Ruka!" I gave him a big wave with a smile. "What's your name?" She asked him.

He put the boulder he was about to lift up down and frowned, making our smiles fade. He ran away and jumped, putting his hands down, making a bunch of rocks fall down and block our path.

"Hey, that was rude!" I yelled. "Nice to meet you!" Aang followed. "I just wanted to say hi." Katara said confused. I crossed my arms, "obviously he didn't."

"Hey, that guy's gotta be running somewhere. Maybe we're near a village. And I bet that village has a market!" Aang said. I grinned, "Which means real food!" Katara joined in, "And that means no nuts for dinner!"

I put my hands up, with a "woohoo!" Katara, Aang, and I ran to the path. "Hey, I worked hard to get those nuts!" Sokka said from behind us.

I stopped in my tracks and raised a brow. He slumped his shoulders, "Yeah, I hate 'em too." Then joined us.

We climbed over the rocks and once we made it, we continued to run down the dirt path.

>>>

"Yes, score." I said to myself as we made it to the village's market. We were walking down the market, and I was looking around apart from my siblings. Aang was buying a hat so he could cover his arrow on his head, and Sokka and Katara were walking side by side.