Chapter Thirty-Nine:

Ruka (1)

"I'm dreaming, right?" I asked. Roku and Ursa looked to each other then back to me. "I guess you could put it that way." Roku answered. "The only way we could reach you was through your sleep, your thoughts."

"Why would you want to reach me? Is it about Aang? Am I your messenger?"

"No." Roku said. "This isn't about Aang. This is about you."

"I'm not following. Why would a past Avatar and his granddaughter need me?"'

"I'm sure you know Prince Zuko." Ursa said while a smile appeared at his name.

I nodded, "Unfortunately."

"You two get along, correct?"

I crinkled my nose, "Define 'get along'."

Ursa chuckled, "I know he doesn't have the best temper. He's always been like that ever since he was young."

"How do you know him?" I asked.

She was hesitant to answer. "Our families were close once upon a time ago."

"Alright. But it still doesn't answer my first question. What do you both need from me? And how does Zuko fall into it?"

"Your destiny isn't to go alongside your siblings and help Aang. You will help him, but on your own, in a different way." Roku starts. I didn't react nor respond. I waited for him to continue.

"What Ursa and I need you to do - and try to understand - is to go alongside Iroh and help get Zuko on the right path."

I shook my head slowly. "No, that's not right. What I need to do is be with my brother and sister while helping Aang get to where he needs to go to bend all three elements so he could stop this hundred year war. That's what I need to do."

"I know this is confusing. But Iroh isn't going to be able to do it alone. You're the right person for this." Ursa takes her turn to try to explain this peculiar situation.

"Why me? What makes me so special?"

"He'll look up to you." Ursa said in a soft tone. I scoffed, "That snobby Prince look up to me? I'm quote, 'a water tribe peasant'. Not only that, but I'm turning my back on Aang, Katara, and Sokka. My family."

"Aang will understand. If you tell him you spoke to Avatar Roku, he won't question it."

"I can't fight them." I sighed. Roku shook his head, "You don't have to. If there's a time where you have to fight Zuko, then so be it. We are not asking you to choose him over them. We are asking you to take your own destiny in helping Zuko find his."

"Zuko's not that stupid. He'll question why I'm all of a sudden wanting to stay on his ship and chase down Aang."

"Talk to Iroh."

I looked at the man and woman in front of me. Is this what I'm really supposed to do?

"There's good in him, Ruka. You just haven't let him show you yet." Ursa said with pleading eyes.

"... if this a dream, will I remember it when I wake up?"

"Do you often remember your dreams?" Roku asked me. I shrugged, "Sometimes."

"Then we'll just have to wait and see, won't we?"

I groaned, "If anything goes wrong, I'm holding you accountable!"

Roku laughed, "Many things will go wrong, my dear. That's just part of the journey."

They smile to me while bowing. I did the same before the same bright light from earlier shined on my eyes. I covered them with my hand before looking away.

My body jerked and I gasped while opening my eyes. I turned my head and Iroh was sitting next to my bedside.

"Well, good morning." Iroh chuckled slowly. "You had me worried for a bit. You wouldn't wake up."

"H- how long was I out?"

"A day."

"A day?!" I widened my eyes. Iroh nodded, "You were still breathing, so I wasn't completely worried, just a smidge."

I sat up and rubbed my head. Iroh noticed my uneasiness. "Everything alright?" He asked.

I looked down to my legs then to him. "We... we need to talk."

Side Note: I don't want to change the storyline too much. I needed a reason for Ruka to stay, she wouldn't do it willingly. So I came up with this. Please let me know when I'm getting off track! That's the last thing I want. Thank you! Btw, sorry if this was a sucky chapter