Epilogue

The Canton Tower- 10:00, 27th October, 200 A.D

Vanessa observed the people walking in front of the Tower's entrance. Families with kids, couples with their dogs, even some lonely people, like her.

She had been sitting in the Tower's main stairway for a long time, lost in thought, feeling more like a teenager than a thirty-three-year old woman.

The events of the last week wouldn't leave her mind no matter how much she tried. Everything happening so fast, the Council changing at its very core.

Aldus Green was send in the Underground, found guilty of high treason. His last action was to witness the burying of his daughter.

Aldus' estates, offices and private property were searched thoroughly, confirming his connections with the Red Ribbon, the drug dealing empire and a couple of mysterious deaths and disappearances on the Sky Mountains.

After the revelations, every member of the Council was interrogated, as well as every single person of authority in Canton. The traitors were disposed, and the innocent remained. No more hidden snakes in Tom Rosenberg's lair. But still...

Why do I have this ugly feeling in my chest?

Vanessa wasn't an intuitive person, leaning more towards the practical side of the scale. But the churn in her stomach wouldn't go away, no matter how hard she tried. And the nightmares that tormented her every night, dreams of people dying screaming in the Mountains and Magenta laughing.

She heard the sound of steps and felt Tom's hand on her shoulder, a touch she welcomed. He sat beside her in the shaded steps.

"It's nice to watch them go by isn't it? Oblivious to all?"

My thoughts exactly, boss.

"How are you hanging on?"

Tom had noticed the dark circles in her eyes and her unusual silence.

"Pretty well I guess. All things considered. I just can't help but wonder if everything is truly over."

"Vanessa, Aldus is in jail. He was connected with everything, the drugs, the murders. He had powerful friends in high places, but they've all been found and apprehended. I have to admit I feel pretty safe now, and I was the one almost killed."

Vanessa shuddered at the thought, but Tom just smiled, pulling her closer with his left arm.

"The attack belongs to the past. There is nothing to worry about anymore."

"Then what about our Heroes, Tom? The ones you so proudly presented to the people of Canton seven days ago? With Aurelia's blessing, and fireworks and everything? Our Holy Deity herself said she felt Magenta stirring again. How am I supposed to believe we are completely safe?"

Tom had no answer to her question. Nobody did. Or didn't want to.

Time of a subject change.

"So, when do you think our Council is going to start working again? For real?"

"What do you mean?"

"I am talking about Aldus' position. We are one Counsellor short if you haven't notice."

Tom's face lightened up all of a sudden.

"Did I say something funny, Tom?"

"Sort of. We've already found our 12th Counsellor."

"Really. Who is the lucky one?"