Divided

Canton Eastern Outskirts- 09:00, 25th September, 200 A.D

The field was in bloom... A beautiful breeze was swiping through the barley and the flowers gave a beautiful smell on the cool air of the afternoon. The sun was still in the sky, but was soon to set, creating a mixture of pink, orange and purple colours.

John was sitting on a green bench, smiling, happy beyond words. The young woman in front of him was walking through the barley, touching it with her fingertips, laughing. Then she came towards him, kneeled and when their heads were almost touching, he asked him.

"You don't really believe I am dead, do you John? Not you."

He shook his head, unable to speak. Valentine pushed her flowing hair behind her ear. Her blue eyes were glowing in the sun.

"You know I am stronger than this, right? I hope the others are not worried. Because I am fine. I just have to stay away for a while. I have to be ... stronger somehow. Do you understand?"

He nodded again. Then Valentine came even closer and she hugged him. "But I miss you all so much. I will try to be with you again as soon as possible." And then, her face was centimetres away from his, and he knew it was wrong, but he wanted to kiss her again so badly. So he leaned closer ignoring his fear and his guilt...

John woke up as his lips were about to touch hers. He felt sadness, but also relief. He didn't want to go down that path again, not even in his dream.

He got out of his bed, heading straight for the bathroom, where he splashed a lot of cold water in his face. It made his mind clear up a bit. Then he made his way back to his bed where he laid down, thinking about his dream. Or, better said, his vision.

John was entirely convinced that his brain had managed to establish a connection with Val's. She was alive and well, against all odds. Despite Rehberg's announcement stating that Valentine Stone had died in a terrible accident.

John would never forget Vanessa, as she stood on the Conference Room's Podium, less than a month ago. She looked beaten up, broken, nothing reminiscing of her strong, determined character upon the first night. There was a bleak atmosphere all around the teammates, and every single soul could feel, that something was wrong.

"As many of you already know by now, there has been a terrible accident, involving your last exam. A conflict between three candidates who left them terribly wounded. Therefore, the Council asked for the temporary closing of the Academy, until the re-evaluation of some parameters. You are, until then, free to return to your homes. Because of your Powers, you will be under strict supervision. We would kindly ask you, to keep your gift a secret. You will return at the Academy, as soon as the problems will be resolved."

There had been mixed feelings all around the Academy, happiness, sadness and fear combined. But most of all, John had unanswered questions, a lot of them. Along with Seb and Mike, they entered the Instructors office, announced. And that's where they found, the thing they've dreaded the most.

"How is that even possible?"

Mike was shouting, hitting her office with his fists, as Seb, white as a sheet from shock, tried to get a hold of him.

"Valentine's death was the result of a miscalculation" Vanessa whispered.

"Miscalculation? We're talking about a person's life. Amy Wyatt is at the hospital fighting for her own life. Now you are telling us Val is dead. The Academy is scattered and Alice Green is alive and kicking. Aren't you going to do something about that? What kind of people are you?"