Face Off

The sound of Henry's brakes were heard outside the cottage. He opened the door, a big smile on his face and his hands full of groceries.

"Sorry to be gone that long. I found some old friends and..."

"You are a grown-up man, Henry. You can do whatever you want."

Val's ice cold tone was enough to wipe away his smile. He coughed lightly.

"Valentine, are you still mad? I am sorry, alright? I never meant to talk to you this way. I do like you, and I want you to find your friends as soon as possible. But you have to be ready..."

"Yeah, Henry. Whatever."

Val stood up from the couch, and walked around it, standing exactly opposite her teacher.

"We had visitors. Or rather, I had a visitor."

"Did someone hurt you, Valentine?"

She chuckled ironically.

"A funny thing to ask. No. My Deity was here. Aurelia. She informed me of a few unimportant things. Like how the Academy closed down and everyone's life was ruined because of our little plan."

Henry remained silent, his face whiter than usual.

"You knew."

It wasn't a question.

He nodded his head.

"Vanessa texted me. But we'll fix everything. Together. Just give me a little more time."

"Aurelia instructed me to leave immediately."

"Valentine you can't seriously trust this entity? She is a lying, scheming, murderous..."

"Why is she murderous, Henry? Have you ever seen her killing someone?"

Henry stopped talking, staying completely still, his body an electrified wire.

"What?"

Val approached him slowly.

"You know Henry, I never dared to ask. How is it possible for a man, with your looks, at your age, to have never married? Even engaged?"

"Don't do this, Valentine."

"Wrong answer."

The photo flew from Val's hand, straight at Henry's face. A beautiful woman and a happy, different man.

"You know I always found it strange, that we never got out of the house, not even for a drink. In the beginning I thought: Maybe I am too young or maybe he is afraid someone will see us. Now I understand. That's why you kept me here for so long, Henry, didn't you? You never liked me, neither is your heart pure. I punched Aurelia straight in the face, so you though "Oh nice, here is my change to avenge my wife. My dead wife, taken by a Holy Deity." Guess what? Your game is over."

"You have no idea what is like."

"Excuse me, what? I never tried to use anyone..."

"You have no idea what's like to be responsible for someone's death. My wife was depressive, with only purpose in life: to be Aurelia's medium. I only laughed her thoughts away, saying to myself it's only a phase. And one night she was gone. She jumped in Aurelia's void and never came back. And I saw it all. Yes I am a coward and a junkie. But how dare you judge me? You are just a kid."

He spat the last sentence directly at Val's face. She chuckled bitterly.

"Alice Green put me in the hospital when I was twelve. My father was driving with 150 km/hour, because my life was hanging on the line. Or so they told me. You see Henry, my parents and I never saw each other again. I ended their worries, forever. They died because I liked to play hero. So I stopped the heroic acts, for a long time. Until I realised... stopping is not the answer. Getting better at your game is."