The Chase

The two men were hidden in the dark shadows of the room. The older man's office was scarcely lit by the fireplace, the burnt wood giving the atmosphere a hypnotising odour. The young man put the book back in the bookcase, one of the many which stood proudly in the office.

"Her birthday was a week ago," he exclaimed, concerned.

"And? Do you miss her?" the irony on the old man's voice was a stab in her chest.

"Don't make me laugh, Father. Even though she was a nice stress reliever. But... Sometimes, I wonder...."

"Me too, son. I wonder about her death too."

Amy was on her knees in the cold grass, her arms around her waist, trying to reclaim some of her lost warmth. There were muffled voices all around her, but she couldn't make their words out. An annoying light was on her back but she didn't care. The hands with their murderous nails were there again, tearing her body apart. She was unable to stand up, unable to move. Not that it mattered anymore.

They know... They are going to find me... I'm already dead.

***

"Amy! Get out of there! They'll see you! Stand up!"

Val screamed at the top of her lungs, oblivious to the apartment lights that got turned on and the nosy old professors peeking out of their blinds. The fast approaching Uni Patrol was a far more impending matter than the annoyed neighbours.

She started running towards her, ready to scream once again when a hand silenced her cries.

"Stop. Are you crazy? They are going to find us." John whispered in her ear.

Val's feet became limb at once, and her will weakened. With a small ounce of mental strength, she tried to fight him back. "Let go of me... I have to save her."

Her mind was working against John's Power and her brain was swiped by a headache so sudden, it made her eyes lose focus for a second.

Her leg was raised, ready to stomp John's foot and be free to retrieve her wiping friend from the approaching officers, when it happened.

A shadow, or rather a distortion in time and space, a smoke moving faster than the eyes could see, reached Amy and pulled her back to the car, which almost got lopsided by the sudden force of the powerful intruder.

Seb?

That was all Val could think of before the police alarm shouted and a voice echoed in the darkness. "You! In the van! Stand still!"

"They saw them! Shit.Shit. Shit. Val, run straight to the car and don't look back."

"But..."

"Go!"

John's voice was deafening in her ears, and she had no chance but to obey. She started running towards the car, attracting the attention of the two officers.

"You, there! Freeze! Now!"

"I think it's time you froze."

The policemen turned their heads towards John at the same time. Val only had an instance to peek and see John's nose bleeding and the two guards mesmerized by his command. With his eyes glued to the officers, he took swift crab-like steps, following Val towards the convertible. Luckily Seb, Mike and Amy were sitting in the back, unable to react.

Val entered the driver's seat, with as much determination as she could muster. John had only a small second to close the door before the cops came back to reality. They shook their heads and started their engine anew.