Instructors

The New Academy- East Canton, 21rst July, 250 A.D-10.00 A.M

Val woke from the girls' cheery sounds. Despite her heavy head, she knew exactly where she was and why. Her dreams had been uneasy, and cold. She could only remember her last one clearly: She had yelled at her dead parents' backs, but they wouldn't turn to face her. Then a little hand touched her back, a voice started whispering and Val knew it was the girl that had started all this mess, but when she turned around to confront her, she was gone.

As her eyes got used to the source of pure sunlight, Val realized that she saw her room for the first time. It was a simple, bright rectangular, a wooden door on one side, a window on the other. The room's main space was occupied by three rather large beds. Opposite them stood one enormous wardrobe, divided into three equal parts. Amy and Mandy were sitting in front of it, exclaiming their surprise.

"Look, Amy, they even have our old clothes in here. And new ones in the right size. They really know their job in the Council, eh? How many people are involved in this mess? Shopping assistants, landlords, our own mothers? What the hell?"

"Not a lot of people you can trust today it seems. The creeping factor is even more intense than I thought yesterday." Amy frowned and shook her head. "I am more concerned about those top outfits, though. I don't suppose they expect us to wear those, do they?"

Val looked up the way Amy was pointing, a hanging pole full of strange clothes White tops and black pants. "With those, we'll probably look more like accountants than superheroes."

The two girls turned their heads towards her.

"Crap, Vallie, we woke you up. Sorry..." Mandy started apologizing.

Val shook her head, in a calm gesture. "No problem. I had to wake up at some point, didn't I?"

Amy turned around, her almond green eyes staring her intensely. "Had a good night's sleep?"

"Of course. Dreams full of green fields and peaceful sunsets."

Amy chuckled ironically. "Sounds nice."

Val got up from her bed and stood next to the girls, facing the closet. "Let me guess. We are apparently having a dress code in this Academy."

Amy sighed. "Yes. We received a message in our PAs. 12 o'clock in front of the Training Grounds. Don't be late. P.S Dress in black and white."

"Well, the clothes themselves are actually tasteful. It's just that... we are all going to look the same" Mandy admitted.

"I think that's the point, though," Amy muttered. "A team assembly. They probably think they have the perfect plan."

Val thought of yesterday's encounter with Alice Green and shuddered. Well, they definitely didn't plan this.

Their growling stomachs lead them instinctively to the Main Hall, where plain, sturdy metal tables and benches waited for them to be seated on. A large breakfast buffet stood at the edge of the room, being refilled endlessly by the cheery, all-white dressed cooks. The girls barely had time to eat a healthy portion of breakfast and chat politely with some of their new teammates, before it was time for their Training meeting.

Mandy was caught up in a conversation with some friends, so it was up to Amy and Val to find the boys. Val was searching the crowd in vain when Amy surprised her with her concerned tone.

"Val, listen to me" she started. "Yesterday in your sleep, I think... I think you were crying. Did Lucas upset you somehow?"

If only it were that easy, Amy.