The Forbidden Scheme

The New Academy- 15th August, 250 A.D

"Is this some kind of a joke? Or did the Power get to your brain after all?"

"Since when did you turn in an obedient Academy student, Val? Last time I checked, you were having the time of your life in our little excursions."

Mike's dumbfounded look would normally make Val burst out laughing, but not this time. Not when he was being so irresponsible and unreasonable.

"Mike, do you even listen to yourself? We're not talking about a walk in the woods, exploring the greenhouses or sneak out in the terrace for a late-night meet up with our friends. You want to go outside. Something that is strictly against the Instructor's rules."

She knew how illogical her reasoning sounded. In the course of almost four weeks, their little team of five, as well as various friends and teammates, had broken the rules more than once. Seb's experimental e-news had been a massive hit since day one, with trainees leaving their beds late at night to take part in extremely fun and most often than not, forbidden activities. The Training Grounds, the open terrace and the outskirts of the forest behind the Academy's infirmary and greenhouses had been their standard meet up places so far. But going outside was something else entirely.

"What about the cameras?", she continued. "Did you forget those happy little electricians with the blue caps, that were supposedly here to check for wiring malfunctions? Vanessa and her gang are watching every second...."

Val stopped talking as Mike gave her an incredulous look. "Really, you are going to play the camera's card now? The ones Seb manipulates for breakfast every single time we meet?"

A sigh escaped her lips. Of course, Seb could disable the cameras. Another part of his "technological genius" package. Seb was a hardware and software magician for sure, but still...

"This is the Canton City we're talking about. Even if we use Amy's teleportation and Seb's knowledge, we'll still have to take night railways, buses. The Deities know how many cameras and witnesses are out there. I am all about pushing the silly limits to drink beers and eat barbeque chicken with Mandy, Nelson and Doug, but this is out of line."

"We're doing this for you, Valentine."

Oh great. Thanks for reminding me how useless I am.

"Didn't your parents teach you not to barge in other people's conversations, John?"

She didn't even have to look at his face to know that he was taken aback by her harsh words. Val wasn't going to apologise, even though she regretted talking abruptly to John. She was grateful for his mind-manipulation, especially since the bloody fight against Alice, but it had started to become truly annoying.

"You're right. I should try and stop this bad habit. But sometimes, you know, the Power takes the best of me."

She looked at him questioningly, trying to determine if his reply was ironic. She didn't know how having a Power felt like. Almost a month had gone by in this luxurious prison, and Val was still Powerless. One of the last one left, along with Seb, Emma Brown and a few others. The pressure from the disappointed Instructors was high, with word of mouth spreading through the candidates like wildfire: The ones without a Power would be kicked out of the Academy at the end of the first month. But those rumours were only Val's secondary concern.

The first one sat just three benches away from her. The crowd in the Training Grounds was yelling excited, their eyes glued to the fight taking place between Seb and Amy. But Alice Green didn't yell or cheer. She looked at Val's friends through gleaming eyes, hungry for violence. Revenge. She was capable of that now. She already had a Power: controlling electricity.

Like giving a taser gun to a deranged cop.

Val tried to shake the thoughts of impending danger, subtly changing the subject.

"What is the great idea, then?"

John allowed himself to sit next to her. His determined eyes looked directly into her own, and Val felt her cheeks turning slightly red. He always had that effect on her, something that excited and bothered her all the same.

"Does the name Leonard Lucas ring any bells?"

It did. Leonard Lucas was the most respected historian of Canton, but only in terms of his expertise. His personality was a constant run-on joke amongst the scientific community, mainly because of his controversial opinions. He had a very successful late-night show, in which he preached about ancient conspiracies and hidden secrets to anyone who'd listen. Val was a major fan. Despite his deliciously flamboyant character, Leonard's views on the malevolent side of the Deities reflected her own.

"I do. You are related I take it?"

"He is my uncle. Dad's brother. He has no children of his own, so he loves me dearly. I do too. He sounds like a wacko in "History for Dummies", but his wisdom is beyond words. His library extends to pieces even beyond the War, dating two or even three centuries. Sometimes I am wondering if he also possesses some kind of foresee strength."

"So, you think he can help us? With a Power Guide of shorts?"

"It wouldn't hurt if we tried, Valentine. Besides, a break from this place would do us good. Maybe he doesn't want to show it, but Sebastian is extremely stressed."

Val's eyes went directly on the glass display in front of her. The fight wasn't going very well for Seb. Amy tried her best to keep her raw warrior instincts under control, but he was still getting his ass whooped by her and her Power all the same. His manoeuvres were fast and he was incredible eligible for his height, but nothing could stop Amy's teleportation. Val still believed this was an incredibly cruel way for the Instructors to force the Power out of them. She had been paired up with Doug in her last "test" and he had been terribly sad for having to beat her with this super strength.

"Ok. That's it. I think he had enough of the Princess' tricks for one day", Mike announced. "Time to see how she holds up against the real deal."

His body transformed even as he was descending the steps, muscle after muscle turning into an impregnable black granite, a blend of sturdy metal and dark stone. Even with almost everyone in the Academy being aware of Mike's light-hearted and friendly nature, it was impossible to not step aside when his bulky mass made its way to the stage. Seb shook his head in disapproval and Amy laughed heartily, making a beckoning gesture.

"At least they are having a good time" Val whispered, more to herself than anyone else. John had heard though and took her hand in his without saying a further word. She turned her head around, as to avoid his gaze. She saw them then, Angie with Toby, Will and a few other supporters at her side. Her eyes were small like slits, full with poison against Val.

I will get you, those eyes said. You are Powerless. There is nowhere you can run. Will gave her a cheeky look and Tob crackled his fists. Hans, a sleazy black-haired guy and the newest member of the team, licked his lips. And the pale, blonde, blue-eyed twin sisters named Charlotte and Emily looked at her with a sweet, innocent look. Way too innocent.

I am in deep shit.

Seb approached them and sat on the bench, sweating and breathing heavily. His eyes went immediately to her, begging.

"Did you thought about our little plan, Val?" he said, trying to sound calm and indifferent. Val could see through his little charade. He craved for Power like the rest of them. Despite the danger and the fear in her heart, she couldn't deny that she desperately needed a weapon against Alice's menace. Even if it meant breaking the rules to get it.

"Yes, I did," she admitted, convinced. "I am in."

A.N: Led Zeppelin-Immigrant Song