New Friends

In her way out with Mike, Sebastian and John, Val felt two hands attacking her from her exposed left side. Mandy was there, her eyes tired but her face full of excitement.

"Can you believe what just happened? We're Heroes, girl! Aren't you excited?"

From this whole evening business, Mandy's reaction was the least surprising one. Even though her friend's attitude lifted her spirits, Val looked at her questioningly.

"Still a little numb, I would say. And confused. Glad to see you are already prepared for an enemy face-off."

Mandy shrugged.

"Val, it's just a project. Approved by the High Man himself! Come on, don't be so stiff. It's not like we are going to fight Wagner or something. The assistant lady even said so herself."

"The "assistant lady"? Val said, slightly ironic.

Mandy shrugged again. "Ok, of course, I don't trust the overly polished lady with the pearly white smile and the almost too much of a goodie attitude, OK? But I am bound to be excited in my life, once or twice."

"You are always excited, Mandy, one way or the other."

"Fair enough. It's better to always be happy than be a party-pooper such as yourself, missy."

She stuck her tongue out and Val couldn't help but laugh.

"Well if it isn't another lovely lady in our group tonight! Mandy, right?" Mike did a comical little bow, and Mandy looked at him doubtfully.

"What's wrong with him?"

Seb shook his head. "I think his true self is coming to light after our abduction, Mandy."

Mike ignored him. John cleared his throat and ruffled his hair awkwardly. Even with a timid gesture such as this, he looked absolutely charming.

He is one of those people with natural charisma, thought Val. Like Amy Wyatt. Even wiping their asses feels charming, damn it.

But Mandy didn't seem charmed. Instead, she opened her eyes wide, shocked. "Wow, you are the psychopath that followed Val in the club. What are you even doing here?"

All eyes turned on her immediately.

Val nudged her ribs. "It's alright now, Mandy. It was just a misunderstanding."

A meaningful look crossed her face. "I mean, it's really nice to meet you. I truly adore psychopaths."

Mike and Seb covered their faces with their palms.

John let out a chuckle, his cheeks light red. "And it's my pleasure to converse with normal people, sometimes. Nice to meet you, Mandy."

***

The glowing Great-Boards hanging from the ceiling next to the enormous staircases were the latest state of the art. Seb, a true fan of inventions and gadgets, took his time admiring them, giving a low whistle.

"They certainly didn't go cheap on us," he remarked. "These babies are really expensive prototypes. I wonder who made these models. I thought the Institute was shut down after the War, with only a basic department responsible for electricity and such."

"It seems there are one or two things we didn't actually know about your own Island. But don't forget that your Council loves you, Sebastian Stanford" Mike remarked, the ridiculous sentiment gone from his voice.

Val observed the Boards with great interest. There were five of them, five totally flat and thin glass surfaces, full of names and birth dates. The Academy candidates. There were also two numbers standing right next to the dates. Room number and something called a PA number.