INSOLENCE

Wait! What?

Did I just hear him say what I heard him say?

I felt a hand again on my right arm. And for nth time it was Mira and her hold was saying I should not say what I wanted to say.

She and Kim, they walked over to stand beside me. I looked at both of them and saw at each a look of wonder on seeing these two extraordinary persons. They seemed to feel like they couldn't believe their eyes. I couldn't blame them. I just couldn't imagine enough how their families were talking about these mystical characters that were supposed to be not real but now we're here.

Well, as for me, I couldn't relate that much. I was still hoping that we should be going already. The bad feeling had never escaped me and the feeling of being watched.

There was a long silence wherein Sensei and Meia seemed to have been talking through their minds because they were seemed to be enthralled at looking at each other.

"I may never had the gift to read you but I had the power to see that after all these years," it was Mira's whispers barely audible at our distance. "You have never forgiven me."

Her hand closed at my arm harder, I thought I've lost my right hand blood circulation.

I looked at her face but she was transfixed at Sensei.

"And I will not ask for your forgiveness because I have a duty to your father and to the Empire," she whispered again. "But I was sorry that this duty was greater than the love I have for you."

The last sentence Mira had said slowly in revelation as if not sure what to say.

It dawned on me. It was Sensei's mind she was reading.

And Sensei was thinking this for Meia to read him.

Meia's face straightened up even more and her angelic feature disappeared ever so slowly and ever so surely.

If she was hurt with what he said, she covered it up with a mocking smile.

"I appreciate your honesty," she said to him with her voice, thankfully to my benefit. "But these words, their meanings, they were long gone. Years and years ago."

So, in my critical assessment, were they a couple for real?

Mira cleared her throat and whispered, "They were not, at least by both parties."

What was the deal with these? Another of the many mind games? My brain would explode any minute now.

Here in front of me stood a majestic, angel-looking beautiful lady, probably the most beautiful I have ever seen and an elderly man, slightly hunched and positively almost sick in his late years. How could they ever be a couple?

Meia looked past Sensei and then to me. I could feel the burning sensation of her eyes.

"What would we expect from an immature insolent child to understand?" she said slowly with emphasis on each word.

I gulped, taking it all in and breathed back.

"I may be everything, but I was never insolent," I said slowly imitating her.

"Jo," it was Kim, his voice pleading. I disregarded him. Mira's hand never left my arm.

"Hmm," it was Meia.

She looked back at Sensei. "These were what you sent here to me? They were children."

She was obviously helping herself to laugh.