Bad Moon Rising

A noise caught my attention, drawing me from my restless slumber. Nightmares had plagued me since Dean's death. I couldn't recall a time they had been this bad. I mean, sure this job would give anyone proper nightmares. But I'd always had Dean or Sam's presence to comfort me. Anyone might have thought it strange or gross, or whatever if I slept in the same bed as one of them, but I mean, be sensible. We weren't rich. We couldn't always afford three beds in a hotel room. Which worked out perfectly fine if I was having nightmares. But Sam was acting strange since Dean died. I didn't really want to bother him with my nightmares.

   I opened my tired eyes. The dim light from the moon shone on Bobby's guest room floor. It also illuminated a tall familiar figure standing in front of the other bed on the opposite side of the room. He was shoving clothes in his bag as fast as he could, not even bothering to fold them.

     I sat up, leaning on my elbows. "Sam?" I asked quietly. He turned slightly to look at me, but he didn't stop packing. "Where are we going?" I asked, throwing the covers back.

     Sam zipped up his duffel and slung it over his shoulder. "You're staying here. I've got somewhere to be."

    He made for the door and I watched him for a moment, stunned. I rubbed my eyes and sprang out of bed before charging after him. I jumped in front of him, effectively stopping him before he could start down the stairs. "The hell you do."

     He pushed me out of the way. "I'm not arguing with you. You're staying here."

    "Sam, where the heck do you have to be that's so important?" I asked, still following after him.

     "It doesn't matter."

    "The hell it doesn't!" I spat heatedly.

    Sam spun to face me, grabbing my shoulders. "Listen to me!" His tone reminded me of Dad's, or Dean's when they were angry. "You're staying here, and I swear if you follow me, I'll drag you right back here and cuff you in some way that I know you won't break out of for a long time."

    I stared at him. He was deadly serious about leaving me behind. He finally let go of me and opened the front door.

    "Wait! What happened to the Winchester's against the world, huh?"

    Sam didn't stop when he mumbled. "There's not enough of us left to matter anymore."

    With that he left, slamming the door behind him. I stood in the kitchen, still wearing the old t-shirt of Dean's and shorts that I slept in. I heard the familiar rumble of the Impala and then I heard gravel crunch as Sam sped away into the night.

* * * * * *

    "I need a new job." I stated, bursting into Bobby's kitchen and throwing my weapons duffel on the floor.

     "Where the hell have you been, girl?" He demanded, standing from the table where he was loading a shotgun.

     "I took care of that vamp nest in Nebraska."

     Bobby stared at me, his mouth gaping slightly. "I thought we agreed we'd leave today."

     "Yeah, well you were moving a bit slow for my taste."

    "So you just drove to Nebraska and wiped out a whole colony of vamps in one night?"

     "Yeah."

     Bobby shook his head, and turned away from me for a moment. Then he exploded. "You coulda been killed, girl! I promised your daddy and your brothers I'd look after you."