Scarecrow

"Kenzie. Kenzie."

I groaned as I felt Dean shaking my shoulder.

"What?" I grumbled.

"Come on." He hit my arm. "Dad called. We gotta go check out this job in Indiana."

I snapped my eyes open at the mention of Dad’s name. "What?" I cried sitting up. "Dad called and you didn’t wake me up?" I jumped out of bed and followed my brothers’ example of packing and getting dressed.

"What did Dad say?" I asked as we hurried out toward the Impala.

"Nothing much. Just gave us some names and told us to look into a job." Dean threw his duffel into the back and climbed into the driver’s seat.

"But he didn’t say where he was. Is he gonna meet us there?" I questioned, crestfallen.

Dean looked uncomfortable but he hid it well. "No, but we have to do like Dad says. If he wants us to do a job, we do it. It’s that simple."

I bit my lip and slumped back against my seat as we took off. I closed my eyes to get some rest.

* * * * *

I was pulled out of my sleep when I felt the car being pulled over off the road.

"We’re not going to Indiana." I heard Sam say as he turned off the ignition.

I sat up and rubbed my eyes.

"We’re not?" Dean asked.

"No. We’re going to California. Dad called from a payphone. Sacramento area code."

"Sam." Dean began in his ‘I’m tolerating this for now’ voice.

"Dean, if this demon killed Mom and Jess, and Dad’s closing in, we’ve gotta be there. We’ve gotta help." Sam pleaded.

"Dad doesn’t want our help." Dean said sharply.

"I don’t care."

"He’s given us an order."

"I don’t care. We don’t always have to do what he says." Sam stated firmly.

"Sam, Dad is asking us to work jobs, to save lives, it’s important."

I pursed my lips at their argument. I was less than thrilled to include myself in it and I felt that it wasn’t really my argument to enter.

"Alright, I understand, believe me, I understand. But I’m talking one week here, man, to get answers. To get revenge."

"Alright, look, I know how you feel." Dean started patiently, but Sam cut him off again.

"Do you?" Dean raised his eyebrows in shock at Sam’s accusing tone. "How old were you when Mom died? Four? Jess died six months ago. How the hell would you know how I feel?"

"Dad said it wasn’t safe." Dean reasoned. "For any of us. I mean, he obviously knows something that we don’t, so if he says to stay away, we stay away."

"I don’t understand the blind faith you have in the man. I mean, it’s like you don’t even question him."

Dean lost it at that. "Yeah, it’s called being a good son!"

Sam jumped out of the car and slammed the door. Dean was next and I followed suit unsure of what to do, but I had to be ready to break up a fist fight should it ensue.

"You’re a selfish bastard, you know that? You just do whatever you want. Don’t care what anybody thinks." Dean accused angrily.

Sam grabbed his duffel and backpack from the trunk and I opened my mouth in a silent gasp.