Oh, What a Night

A/N: This didn't turn out exactly how I wanted it to, but I thought "what the heck?"

"Was there anything strange about the body? Like, was it missing a heart, for instance?" I asked the coroner.

   He gave me a funny look. "Well, if we're talking strange then yes. It was bled dry."

He pulled out the tray and uncovered the body. I stared. The body was shrunken and emaciated. "And this is the third one this week, correct?"

   The coroner nodded and sighed. "Yep."

   "And all three cases the victim was under the age of three, correct?"

   "Yes."

   I 'hmmm'd. "Yes, well, if you get another one like it, call me."

   "I will do so, Agent Seger."

   A week had passed since I'd started working with Dylan and surprisingly we'd managed to find a job in town which made it easier than risking the threat of using aliases that my brothers might recognize.

   I missed them, but to tell the truth, I kind of liked this. It was nice to be out of their overprotective shadows for once.

"So all three have been sucked dry?" Dylan asked me over the phone as I unlocked the stolen car's door.

"Yep. Sounds like a vamp, but they don't usually go for kids. They like the big meat."

   "True. So what then? A chupacabra with a taste for human blood?"

   I backed out of the parking lot and turned onto the highway. "Not sure, it's doubtful. They stay down south. Last one I heard about went only as far north as Louisiana."

"Yeah. I'll be at the library. See what I can dig up on it."

   "K. I'll meet you there."

   Three hours of research had turned up nothing. "Hey, was there any puncture wounds on the body?" Dylan asked.

   I shrugged. "Coroner wouldn't let me touch it. Something about the parents weren't allowing the police to 'dig around inside their children'."

   Dylan scoffed. "Well, looks like we've got a job tonight."

   I nodded in agreement just as my phone went off. My "Shoot to Thrill" ringtone blasting full volume and echoing around the room. I jumped and every person in the library turned to glare at me. The librarian narrowed her eyes.

   "Sorry." I said meekly, declining the call and turning off my volume.

   Dylan covered his mouth with his hand to hide the fact that he was laughing at my red face. When his stifled laughter died down he said, "I can't believe, that you, the nerdiest of all nerds forgot to turn your volume off."

   I glared and resisted the urge to stick my tongue out at him. For about three seconds. He shook his head and grinned crookedly.

   Not for the first time since meeting Dylan was I glad I had.

   * * * * *

   I held the flashlight low and looked around us, keeping an eye out for any sign of movement. So far all I'd seen were three cats and about a dozen birds.

"Got it." Dylan said, prying up the glass with the tips of his fingers.

   We both quietly slipped inside the boiler room and I carefully closed the window back. We slipped up the stairs and down the halls until we came to the door of the morgue. I picked the lock this time while Dylan played lookout.