Pilot (Part One)

I sat waiting in the shotgun seat for Dean to get Sam and then get the heck out of town.

I hummed to myself and drummed my fingers along the dash to “Enter Sandman” while I waited.

I sincerely hoped Dean wouldn’t take too long. I calculated how long it would take in my head. Sneaking in through the window would take about two minutes tops. The inevitable fight with Sam would take maybe four, five minutes. Then the confrontation and the arguing. Then Sam would probably get dressed and follow Dean back out here. They would most likely argue the whole way and might even stop a couple times to argue some more. All in all I figured it would take about fifteen minutes, which was way too long for my liking.

I would never admit it to Sam, and neither would Dean, but I’d missed Sammy. It was never the same without him on the road. Sometimes Dad would go and sit parked outside of Stanford College if we were passing through. Just to make sure Sam was okay.

I had tried calling Sam a few times over the past years and sometimes he would answer me when he wouldn’t to Dad and Dean. But when I tried to get him to speak to the others he wouldn’t, or well, he might on the rare occasion to Dean, but even that was as I said, rare.

I heard voices coming from outside and I tightened my hold on my gun. I slunk down in the seat to avoid being seen.  Two people crossed my line of vision. I cocked the gun, but then I recognized Sammy’s sandy, wavy hair, and Dean’s leather jacket.

“And that’s why you ran away.” I heard Dean say.

“I was just going to college. It was Dad who said if I was gonna go I should stay gone. And that’s what I’m doing.” I heard Sam shoot back hotly.

“Yeah, well, Dad’s in real trouble right now. If he’s not dead already. I can feel it.” Dean said an angry undertone in his voice.

I winced and listened for more, but Sam was silent. Finally Dean said, “Me and Kenzie can’t do this ourselves.”

“Yes you can.” Sam said in a condescending tone.

“Yeah, well, we don’t want to.” I heard Dean say.

There was pause from Sam. “ What was Dad hunting anyway?”

I picked this moment to open the car door and pounce on the unsuspecting Sam.

“Hi, Sammy. Miss me much?” I asked hugging his waist.

“Kenzie, you scared the crap out of me!” He yelled, jumping. “Dean, I thought you said she was asleep.” After several failed attempts to pry me off of him Sam gave up and I let go much to his annoyance.

Dean shrugged and opened the trunk of the Impala. “I lied.” Dean propped open the arsenal with a gun and rummaged around a bit. “All right, let’s see, where the hell did I put that thing?”

“So when Dad left, why didn’t you two go with him?” Sam asked.

“We were working our own gig. This, uh, voodoo thing, down in New Orleans.”

Sam gave him a disbelieving look. “Dad let you go on a hunting trip by yourselves?”

Dean gave Sam a look. “I’m twenty-six dude. And I’ve been taking care of her my entire life.” He jerked his head towards me and I rolled my eyes. As if I wasn’t capable of taking care of myself. I was eighteen for goodness sakes.

Dean pulled an article out of the trunk. “All right, here we go. So Dad was checking out this two-lane blacktop just outside of Jericho, California. About a month ago, this guy,” Dean handed the paper to Sam and pointed to the picture. “They found his car, but he vanished. He went completely MIA.”