Chapter 2 - The Final Lessons

Entry 2

Day 2

            It would seem I am at a stand-still with my bending. I am torn between the physical side of bending and the spiritual side. I really can’t master the spiritual side easily because I have always been a pretty lazy girl. This will be a challenge that I will have to overcome sooner or later.

            The earth bending and fire bending practice were very tough, but seeing as my final evaluation is tomorrow I may have to work harder. The reason the final evaluation is very important is it will complete my avatar training in fire and earth bending. Finishing the training in earth and fire will allow me to train in air bending with Master Tenzin. Tenzin is the son of Avatar Aang and Katara. He is someone I have known for many years and I can’t wait to train with him.

            Today marks the last day of my practicing and I still have so much to learn. It is going to be a very stressful day… I can already tell. I have practice with Master Yu again. I hope the training goes well today. Here we go, last day of Avatar practice. I will hopefully write tonight!

_____________________________________________________________________________

            I placed my journal back in the water tribe chest I took from home. The chest was light blue and looked like ice. It shimmered in the sunlight and had the water tribe symbol on the lock. I picked up my coat and slipped into it. It was time to head out.

            I opened my door to find snow and more snow.

            “It must have snowed… wow I slept through this..?” I said to myself.

            I started through the deep snow. I was really getting tired of walking in two feet of snow. It was a drag to dry my clothes. Being a water bender I could easily bend the water out of the clothes, but hey I’m a lazy girl.

            I kept pushing through the snow and headed to the earth training area. I walked up to see Master Yu bending boulders to make a circle. The boulders were at least ten feet tall. They were moved so that they made a circle. I needed to question what he was doing…

            “Good Morning Master Yu! May I ask what is going on?” I yelled.

            “Oh, Korra! Bright and early… that’s new. Oh this, I am creating an exercise for you.” Master Yu responded.

            “Oh I see. So what am I going to do?”

            “Ah, I’m glad you asked. You are to bend these rocks from this side to the other side of the training grounds.”

            “Sounds easily enough, I’ll  star-“

            “Before you talk, let me finish. You are to bend these rocks from one side to the other… with one hand.”

            “One… one hand?! Are you kidding me!?”

            “No I am not. This will prove to me that you have the strength to be an earth bender.”

            “Alright. I will try my best…” I said with an unsure look.

            I stared at Master Yu like he was crazy. This idea of bending the rocks with one hand is insane! I don’t think I can do it, but I might as well try my best. I walked to the first rock.

            “Here goes nothing…. Haaaaaa!” I yelled as I walked to the rocks.

            Pain shot down my arm. It was too much to handle, but I kept on bending. I had gotten one rock to the other side.

            “Very good Korra! One down four to go!” Master Yu shouted.

            “I hate that man so much…” I said under my breathe.

            I proceeded to bend another rock to the other side. This was starting to become annoying and a pain. One after another and I still continued. The final one was in my sight.

            “One more… Korra you can do this. You can do this.” I said to myself hoping it would pump me up.

            I started bending the rock and I was extremely tired. The boulder wobbled and spun, but I kept my focus. I finally landed the rock! I was extremely tired and happy.

            “Very good, Korra. You have proved to me that you are an earth bender. Now make me proud when Katara is here, tomorrow.” Master Yu said as he bowed.

            “Thank you for all your help. I still want to hit you with a boulder for making me do that!” I said with a laugh and a bow.

            “Good luck with your fire bending lesson Korra.”

            “Good-bye Master Yu.”

            I gave Master Yu a hug and went off to my house. I needed some time to rest for my fire bending lesson. I walked through the deep snow again… I really wish I could fire bending the hell out of the snow. I finally made it to my door and opened the door to find my journal. I started drawling little people bending. It was just a way to pass the time. I drew for hours and had dinner. I had sea prunes and noodles, a famous dish by the water tribe.

            Finally the time for my lesson came. I walked to my coat, threw it on and headed out the door. I decided to fire bend a path through the snow. It would be so much easier. I punch at the snow and fire bended a straight path to the fire bending arena. I finally made it to the arena and waited for Master Cho.

            This was strange… he was late. Then I saw him walk. He had a worried look on his face.

            “Good Afternoon, Master Cho.” I said as I waved.

            “Oh… Hello Korra.” He responded in a less happy mood.

            “Is something wrong?”

            “No nothing is wrong. Let’s begin the lesson.”

            “I’m ready!”

            Master Cho again threw a fire ball at me and I deflected it. It was pretty much the same thing. I guess I had to beat him for real. I started throwing rounds of fire balls at him. They were all deflected. I started trying to throw a wheel of fire at him. He easily dodged it.

            He suddenly bended these wings of fire and tried to incase me in them. I avoid them as best as I could. I finally stopped him with a kick of fire. He fell to the ground and laughed.

            “Very good Korra! You have proved your worthiness of being a fire bender. Now get some rest. You have a big day ahead of you. Katara will be here with Tenzin tomorrow. Good night Korra.” Master Cho said as he bowed to me.

            “Thank you Master Cho. Good night” I responded as I bowed.

            I walked home and I saw Naga at my door. I ran to her and gave her a hug.

            “Hey girl! Guess what, I totally passed my tests and Tenzin and Katara will be here tomorrow. I can’t wait!” I told Naga.

            I gave Naga a treat and headed to my room. I opened my chest and grabbed my journal. I added a new entry to my journal and headed to bed.

____________________________________________________________________________ 

Entry 3

Day 2

            I’m not going to write much tonight. A lot happened today. I passed both of my tests and I’m so proud of myself. I’m starting to become an awesome Avatar!

            Katara and Tenzin will be here tomorrow. My final evaluation is going to be scary. I really need to pass this! I want to train in air bending right away.

            Well I have a big day ahead of me. I will write again tomorrow after my evaluation. I am crossing my fingers. Wish me luck!