[ 31 ] The Past and the Present

Start from the beginning

He gives him a small nod. "Okay."

*

Chanyeol is peeking through the small slit of the door, watching on his spot his parents arguing about something his young mind can't fully comprehend. His father is furious, his mother is yelling. They're fighting again. It's been going for a while now, and he can't do something about it though he wants to.

His heart aches, but he can't cry. He shouldn't.

"How can you explain it then? The way he acts? The way he speaks? The way he looks at the other kids? He's not the son I expect him to be. He can't even stand straight in front of me."

"That's because you're scaring him! You should understand him the way he is!"

"The way he is? I didn't raise him like that. I want him strong, not weak. I want him to be like me, not like you. Sending him to an all-boys school was a fucking bad idea. I should've sent him to military school. It would've been for the best."

"Oh god, you're at it again. Stop bringing this up! My son's not going to that hell of a place!"

Voices become muffled until he hears nothing but silence. He touches his ears but they're covered with warm hands. He looks up, seeing a bright blinding smile.

"Let's get you cleaned up."

It smells jasmines. Seems like the scent is seeping through his nostrils in time with the gentle rubs on his scalp. He scowls in distaste and squeezes his eyes. She used her shampoo on his hair again no matter how many times he told her to just use Garnier.

"Nana?"

"Stop calling me nana. You know it pisses me off."

"But you're like a grandma... You wear glasses and you have white strands hidden in your hairs."

"Well then. I'm a grandma who still washes up her teenage brother who still doesn't know how to properly scrub himself."

"But I can't reach my butt and my toes."

"Then you're like a grandpa."

They break into a fit of crazy giggles while splashing water and bubbles to each from the bathtub Chanyeol is soaked in. They only stop when the shampoo reaches his eyes so his sister has to rinse them off.

"Hey. Why were you eavesdropping? You know that's bad."

"I wasn't." He hands her the towel to dry his hair. "I didn't mean to listen to them fighting about me."

"What was it about this time?"

"You covered my ears so I wasn't able to hear the last part."

"Come on, Channie. I know you heard them."

"Father's been talking about how he really hates me."

"Don't say that. Father doesn't hate you. He just... doesn't understand you well."

"He hates me. He wants to send me to a far away place just because I'm different."

"That's not true. Mom won't allow it if that happens. He can't do something about it."

"Will you come with me if he sends me to military school?"

"Of course, I'll cut my hair and pretend to be a boy."

Chanyeol laughs. He wears his favorite shirt and puts on a pair of sweatpants. His older sister has already occupied his bed so he sits instead on his study chair.