[ 26 ] Wavering

*

The heater's not working in his room and Baekhyun thinks it might be broken. He told Chanyeol about it to call a repairman immediately, but said person who's supposed to come on Friday didn't make it. Chanyeol said he should sleep on his room for the meantime.

It's the same bed but it feels just a little bit bigger now. The relaxing sound of the water running down the shower doesn't even help make his chest at ease. He looks at the translucent door. He can make out Chanyeol's naked figure, and he sighs.

He strangely feels uncomfortable.

Startled, he almost jumps out of bed when he hears the soft vibrating sound of the phone lying on the nightstand. It's not his phone. It's Chanyeol's.

And there's an unregistered number blinking on the screen. Again.

Even so, he takes it. No one's looking. Chanyeol won't know. With trembling fingers, Baekhyun slides answer and presses the device against his ear. He's glaring at the door of the bathroom with his heart pounding wild and nervous. He gulps the lump in his throat and waits.

[Hello?]

It's a woman.

Baekhyun hangs up.

He promptly deletes the call history and hastily returns the phone by the nightstand as though it wasn't touched.

Who the hell was that? Is she the same girl from that night?

It's all coming back to Baekhyun, it's haunting him everytime he closes his eyes. He's getting paranoid for an irrational reason. It's all in the past, he knows, she said it so. But why the hell is he even bothering to care?

He hates himself. He hates how he is acting right now.

He lies on a fetal position, curling himself into a ball as he lets the thick blanket slip down his exposed back. He knows Chanyeol has stepped out of the shower, the citrus smell proves it. He has to face the wall for the sake of not seeing Chanyeol getting dressed, or just for the sake of not getting caught as he swallows back a sob.

"You can look, you know." Baekhyun can hear the faint smirk on Chanyeol's lips, he's probably stepping on his underwear now and tossing away the towel wrapped around his waist. Baekhyun knows all too well. Almost.

"Are you sleeping already?"

He is the most terrible actor to fake a sleep, because his eyelids are obviously shuddering. He senses the bed dip due to Chanyeol's weight behind him. If only he could run away, he would've done it already. If only he could disappear, if only he could...

"Baekhyun?"

Balling his hands into a fist, he squeezes his eyes shut. He is too weak for this.

Chanyeol gently kisses his shoulder, slowly going down his arm, and back up again to kiss his sensitive nape. Baekhyun restrains himself from reacting to it but he's doing a worst job. A sweet tingling sensation tickles his nerves, making him put his guards down. He flinches and faces the taller male.

Chanyeol knows he has won. For now.

"Chanyeol sunbae."

Chanyeol stares at him, as always. Looking at Baekhyun isn't enough. He has to appreciate art, and that is what Baekhyun is. He notes how the smaller male falters under his gaze, like a blossoming flower in spring that withers because of something he can't put a finger on.

He can read Baekhyun. But he can't always read Baekhyun.

He lies on the bed beside him, not too close nor too far, a space in the middle. A space where Baekhyun can still breathe, a space where he can still feel him breathe.