[ 23 ] * The Reward

*

They are all huddled up together in front of the bulletin boards stretched which seems like forever, necks craned up with any other hopeful students that are also searching for their names on the long list of successful passers. Jongin is the tallest of the three so Kyungsoo and Luhan stay behind him, body squished with strangers who are either cheering in joy or crying in agony.

Kyungsoo sighs a nervous breath, clutching onto Jongin's shirt. Luhan gives him an assuring but worried look as he hugs his back. Jongin is reading the list of passers with his right hand, while his other hand is intertwined through Kyungsoo's fingers.

"Did you find my name yet?" Kyungsoo asks, shaking Jongin violently. "Did I make it?"

"W-wait, I'm finding it. Oh god, Kyungsoo! Fuck!"

"What? Why!"

Jongin squeezes Kyungsoo's hand tighter, and his index finger is stopping on the paper right at 2017012 Do Kyungsoo. He faces his boyfriend with a wide smile across his face, almost teary-eyed.

"Y-you passed the entrance exam, Kyungsoo!!!! You made it! It's your name! I saw your fucking name!"

"Oh my god!!!" Kyungsoo yells as he jumps with Luhan who is also very happy for him. "I made it! Thank you so much! I got through!"

"Congratulations, baby! We're gonna be on the same university!" Luhan cheers as he hugs Kyungsoo. Jongin is quietly watching them with a smile on his face when he suddenly remembers.

"Shit. I forgot to find mine."

"Go look it up!" Kyungsoo says, hitting Jongin's arm. "We should all be together in this school! You must also pass!"

Jongin quickly goes to another bulletin board, finding his name among thousands of Kim's who also took the test. He waddles through the sea of students while Luhan and Kyungsoo wait outside the crowd.

"I'm sure he's gonna make it," Kyungsoo says. His eyes wander around the front of university packed with different faces, when he spots a familiar face among the crowd. He is standing in front of a bulletin board alone.

Kyungsoo nudges Luhan's arm.

"Look! It's Baekhyun, right?" he says, and he is about to call Baekhyun's name but stops, seeing the other male from a far with drooped shoulders and a ducked head.

Luhan follows with his eyes Baekhyun walking away out of the people, heading to the bus stop with that gloomy face of his. He opts to follow him but Kyungsoo holds him by the arm, stopping him from leaving. The two of them just watch Baekhyun from a distance, who is now crying and sobbing his heart out as he waits for the bus.

"I wanna hug him," Luhan mumbles sadly, "Shouldn't we go to him, Kyungsoo?"

"I think he wants to be alone. I also don't know what to say to comfort him. I'm not good with words..."

"It's okay, Baekhyun... Don't cry..."

"Oh my god. I don't wanna see this," Kyungsoo says as he looks away, disheartened.

Jongin arrives with a loud hoot and yell, practically pouncing on his two smaller boyfriends who look more sullen the last time he sees them few minutes ago.

"I made it! I got into the list! Woohoo!" he screams. He notices the two who look very lifeless. "Hey. Is there a problem?"

Wondering what is wrong, Jongin traces the direction the two males are looking at, and he shortly sees their friend at a distance. Baekhyun is now rubbing his eyes while his shoulders tremble, obvious that he is weeping on his own.