Chapter Ten

SKYLAR'S POV

After Luke left, my mind had begun to reel faster and faster. I couldn't control my thoughts, so I went to the only place I knew to clear them. The roof of the school. I've been going up there since freshman year and its basically my own private sanctuary.

I remember the first time I discovered it was during eighth grade orientation, when all the eighth graders came to the high school to check out teachers and electives and things like that.

My boring science teacher, Mrs. Spencer, was the easiest person to fool, she was so gullible. I had asked to use the rest room and of course she had let me. I think she felt sorry for me because I didn't really have any friends. I would sneak to the Library during lunch, and one day she caught me and didn't say anything about it. I stayed there for all of middle school, reading.

Since we were moving to high school, I had to find a new sanctuary. The library wouldn't do because students were allowed to go there during lunch.

Once the class left the area, I snuck around trying to unlock different doors with my hair pin, but none of them would budge. Just as I was about to give up I saw a secluded door at the end of one hallway and was pulled towards it by some unexplained force. I tried to unlock it with my Bobby pin and it worked. I followed the stairs up and it led to another door, which led to the roof. I grinned because I had found the perfect spot.

So that's exactly where I went after I got my lunch from my locker. It was a really nice day for soccer, and I was kinda upset that this was going to be our last practice before tryouts. I wondered if Jace was going to be there, and then I thought about the party.

Do I even really want to go? I guess I do, I mean I'd love to have some fun, but I'm actually kind of anxious now that I know the rumours were true. Not to mention that Luke and Jack were going to be there. If Jace and his popular friends were there, Marie and her army of skanks were bound to be there too.

I hope I find a really nice dress when we go shopping. Demi does do her makeup amazing so I guess I'll be okay. I'm defiantly not going to drink though. Who knows what will happen if I do.

I guess it's normal for me to have a lot on my mind, because I have a busy week. Today I have my last soccer practice, tomorrow I have soccer tryouts and Jade and Nala are coming over for our revenge plan, Saturday I have the party to go to.

I don't think I've ever had so much to do I'm my life. But I'm happy I have friends, even though it's not many. It's good to know I have some.

The bell rang, signalling my time to go.

********

After school I go to my locker to get my stuff. I bend down putting in my combination while listening to my iPod. After I yank my stuff out I kick the door close.

Then everything goes black as I feel hands wrapped around my eyes. I yank the earplugs out of my ear and hear

"Guess who?"

It's a familiar voice, but I just can't put a finger on it.

"Ummmm..."

Jace?

He finally lets me go and I turn around to see Juan.

"Oh it's locker boy" I laugh

"Juan" he corrects me

"Skylar" I say nodding. Why am I nodding? I'm so anti-social.

"So today's the last practice huh?"

"Yep"

"Are you going to tryouts tomorrow?"

"Of course, are you?"

"Yea, I really hope I make varsity" We begin to walk to the field even though it's thirty minutes early.

"Me too, that would be amazing."

"Oh you've already made it."

What?

"Huh?"

"I didn't say a thing" He smiled his signature grin and winked.

I laughed and said "Okayyyyy"

"Well, I have to go to tutoring, see you at the party?"

"I'll be there." saying it more to myself then him.

"Sweet." He turns to leave and I'm left on the field.

All to myself for thirty min-

"Hey Sky."

I groan and turn around.

"Jace." I greet him with his own name. Nice Skylar. Nice.

"You don't look so happy to see me."

"Who said I had to be happy?"  It was amazing, the effect he had on me. I felt like I could be myself, like I didn't have to worry about what I say or how I say it. With him, I could be me. And I liked that.

Watch it Skylar, he has that effect on EVERY girl. Take it slow.

He didn't reply but tossed me a ball. We passed to each other for a few minutes before taking shot at the net. We did a few drills in silence and I couldn't take it anymore.

"The silence is killing me."

He gives me a lopsided grin, but doesn't reply.

"Jace, come on you've got to say something"

No response.

I grinned. Two could play at this game.

I walk over to the bench and he follows. I grab my water bottle and down half of it.

He stares at me with wide eyes.

I was torturing him, and I knew it. He held out his hand, so I would give him the bottle and I shook my head.

"I don't let boys who don't talk to me, drink out of my bottle." I smiled devilishly.

But he just smiled. Boy, he was stubborn.

He continued to hold out his hand, so I slapped it, giving him a hi-five.

And in that moment he took my hand and pulled me into him, trapping me. His arms around me made my heart beat at an exceptional level, and I was at a loss for words. I didn't know where to look I just stared at my shoes, but he brought his hand under my chin and forced me to stare into his ocean colored eyes.

"Who's speechless now?" He smirked at me.

I think I'm going to have a heart attack if I say a word so I just stare into his eyes.

"You know what, Sky?"

I raised my eyebrows. "Yea?" I breathed

He leans in closer and I can almost taste his minty breath. "I -"

"SKYLAR!!!!" Nina called.

"Shit." He mumbled under his breath.

We reluctantly unknotted from each other.

"I need to go to soccer practice I guess..."

"I'll um, text you?" It was more of a question than a statement.

"Sure" I smiled and I got his signature smirk in return.

I walked over to Nina only thinking one thing.

Holy. Freaking. Shit.

(A/N: Yes. yes.yes. do you love Jace as much as I do? ;) please vote, it only takes a second. Please comment because I love to hear from you guys. and please spread the word of this book! if you follow me, I'll follow you back! I love you guys, thanks for the support)