Chapter Three

My mind is racing by the time I get to third period, and lucky for me it's P.E. I really need to clear my head and think things through, so when Coach Bill told us we were running today, I was grinning from ear to ear.

I share this class with Jade, and when she found out we were running she had a huge scowl plastered onto her face.

"What are you smiling about? And why didn't you meet up at the bench? I thought we agreed to meet up."

I explained to her what happened and of course her first response was telling me that I liked Jace. And naturally I denied it. I told her I was happy to run because I needed to get back in shape before tryouts, which wasn't a complete lie. Soccer tryouts were in two days and I did need to get in shape. I didn't enjoy lying to her, I just need time to think about whatever the heck just happened.

Coach Bill blew the whistle and we took off. The boys were being show offs as usual, sprinting to the front and racing each other. I went at my own pace, not too slow and not to fast. I tried to focus on my breathing for the first few minutes because I have really bad asthma.

With my ear phones plugged in and the world shut out, I began to think, beginning with focusing on the padding of my feet as I ran.

He called me Sky. No one had ever given me a nickname before and I really don't know how to feel about he being the one to give me one. I think I kinda like it...

How did he know my name in the first place? I guess it wasn't that hard to figure out considering Blake was one of his best friends. I guess he told Jace what happened with Nala.

Wimp.

And then the whole 'I'm the way' thing. What the hell does that even mean?

And then it hit me. He's a player. He just wants me under his finger like he does with every other girl. Why didn't I realize that earlier? I mean I did realize it, just not when I was in top of him.

I'm not going to lie he was very good looking. His chocolate brown eyes bore into my own and I was this close to falling for it. This close. He always dresses so...right. Needless to say, it shows off what needs to be shown.

He had a nice build to him too, not too muscular but not a stick either.

But I'm definitely not falling for it. I know better.

By let not forget how I got there either. That stupid skank tripped me, and then winked before she left.

I can't wait to get back at her, and I know Jade will be glad to help. This stupid skank can call me names all day, but the moment she touches me it's war. Scholars vs. Skanks round one.

After we run we have time to walk the tracks, so I catch up with Jade and tell her we need to get revenge.

She smiles and we work out a devious plan that keeps my head up the rest of the day.

Fourth period I have lunch, and the rest of the day flies bye. I don't really pay attention during class because my thoughts keep drifting back to Jace. Even though I know he's a player, I can't help but think what it would be like to get to know him more.

What the hell, Skylar? Snap out of it!

The day is almost over and there's only one more period to go before I have soccer practice. It's not official practice, because no one is on the team, it's just a bunch of people who want to try out getting to know each other and screwing around with the ball.

Finally the bell rings and I head to my locker to get my soccer bag. Unfortunately, a large group of guys  surround the space so I'm unable to get to it.

"Hey, I've got to get to my locker"

A Hispanic boy with crazy hair and a huge smile turns around.

"Then get to it."

I furrow my brows "You're in my way"

Bye now everyone in the cluster has turned to look at me, and among them is Luke and Blake.

Blake puts his hand on crazy hair boy and says "Juan, I'd do what she says"

Despite what he did to Nala, I give him an appreciated look and tell Juan  "Move."

I have no idea what's gotten into me today. Normally I would have backed off and just gotten it later. I guess seeing Marie's shocked face gave me all the confidence I needed.

He's about to step aside when Jace tells him to stay. I didn't even know he was there. GOSH I MEAN ALL I WANT IS TO GO TO MY LOCKER.

He stays. This blows my mind, he's letting them tell him what to do.

"Are you seriously going to let them control you? Be you're own damn person and move."

As soon as the words fall from my lips I'm shocked. I've never cussed in front of anyone before. Sure, I have before in my head but I've never said anything out loud. Let alone speak up for myself.

What happens next shocks me and the rest of the group. He walks away!

Satisfied, I smirk at Jace and squat down to my bottom locker yanking out my soccer bag.

I slam the locker and stand up. Everyone has left and its just Jace and I. I definitely don't want to be pestered by him so I walk away.

"Sky, wait up!"

I turn around and see him jogging after me.

Oh great.

The bad thing is I'm not sure if I meant that sarcastically or not.