Chapter One- Skylines and Turnstiles

Start from the beginning

 "James King, sir. Sorry, got lost. I'm new." I said.

 His expression lightened when he heard I was only late because I was new, and he told me to sit wherever I wanted.

 The first two rows of benches were filled, and the back row was empty except for Jake sitting on his own in the middle. I looked at the seat next to him, but I swear I saw him shake his head, and I remembered what he had said; "You don't want to be seen with me on your first day..."

 Maybe he was an outcast too? Outcasts should stick together, right? But my hesitation only earned me another, more noticeable shake of his head, and so I chose the seat at the end of the row.

 I put my Misfits backpack on the desk and pulled out my chemistry exercise and text books. The backpack earned me a few raised eyebrows but no-one said anything. I was surprised that no-one had commented on my clothes yet... I sat down and decided that, as it was my first lesson, I should concentrate. Maybe I would get better grades at this school; if people left me alone I wouldn't be so distracted by worrying about who would beat me up next when the bell rang.

 Before I knew it the bell did ring, and I was off, following the crowd, to my English class. My English teacher, Miss Picton, was young and clearly very wrapped up in literature. She used metaphors and similes in practically every sentence and she was rather dramatic and fun. I took an instant liking to her, especially when she complimented my choice of backpack.

 Break time came sooner than I would have liked- I felt I could have stayed in English studying Jekyll and Hyde forever- but I was pushed into the hallway. Everyone seemed to split off in groups to their hangouts, but I had nowhere to go. I headed for the courtyard which was where most people in my year were standing, in their gangs, chatting amongst themselves. I stood there, feeling lost, and so I did what I do best. I found myself a spot alone, leant against the wall, and turned my IPod up loud.

 I was so wrapped up in imagining the Desolation Row music video- I knew the video so well that I could see it before my very eyes- that I was shocked when somebody pulled out my headphones.

 "...are you deaf?" the person was asking.

 It took a while for my eyes to focus, but when they did I knew I was in trouble. I was so used to being the tallest person around that finding myself staring at someone's chin startled me. I looked up into the face of the jock who would no doubt personally make my life hell for the next few years.

 "I'm sorry?" I practically whispered. He chuckled menacingly at my near-silent speech.

 "I said, so you're the new guy, dumbass. They said we were getting a new friend- they didn't say he was going to be such a weirdo!" he said loudly, and everyone started to laugh. I felt my cheeks burn a bright shade of red as I glared at him.

 "Dude, can't you just, like, leave me alone?" I snapped. His face fell and hardened.

 "I should've known you were gonna be one of them. We don't need yet another emo fag at our school." he hissed, and people laughed again.

 Another emo? The only person I had seen that looked the same as me was Jake! Who was nowhere to be seen- I cursed his leaving me alone.

 "Hey weirdo, what the hell are you wearing?" one of the jocks' mates called to me. I was instantly surrounded by a group of rather tough looking guys. They were obviously the top group around here.

 I could feel them inspect every inch of me, from my battered black Converse high-tops, to my slightly too short eye-wateringly tight black skinny jeans, to my studded leather belt with the Misfits skull buckle, to my black long-sleeved shirt, to my lip-ring, to my ear-piercings, to my black hair, quite short at the sides with a long fringe.