(LX.)

"We're here."

The announcement from the front roused everyone from their states.

After the four-hour-long flight from Miami to Phoenix, they had taken another bus drive to their destination for two hours. At the beginning of the drive, most of them had been alert, pointing out scenic spots excitedly. They had grabbed a meal at Rock Springs Café, then continued the journey. From then on, the chatter had died down, and many of them had begun to sleep.

Even Jess had stopped reading her book after the flight. It had kept her busy on the plane, but the loud noise from others afterwards couldn't let her concentrate.

The bus took them to Adobe Grand Villas. The driver and the hotel's valets took out the students' luggage to their rooms. Mr Melas took their key cards from the receptionist, and handed them to the students in pairs, according to the already-made arrangement.

Jess found herself stuck with Matilda Wells. Turned out that they didn't just share psychology and history classes. She only hoped that her new roommate wasn't the annoying, nosy type.

Roommates. This was the first time she was having one. Even on camping trips back in Avalon High, she'd always stayed alone.

Their room was almost the last one in the hall. Jess was pleased with the position. Matilda wasn't. The other girl kept on checking outside the windows, staring warily at the night shadows.

Jess ignored her, and fell on the bed. Matilda shrieked, causing her to jump off immediately.

"What? Is there a fire?"

"The sheets!"

Jess stared at the cerulean covers designed with pink and yellow butterflies. She frowned up at her. "What happened to them?"

"It's unhygienic to sleep on sheets placed just like that in a hotel room." She opened a big mauve case, and took out folded sheets and duvet covers.

She watched her with incredulity. "You brought your own covers?"

Matilda nodded. "I feel safer that way."

"Did you at least consider the pains the cleaners went through to dress this bed?" Personally, it wasn't a problem, but she just felt like saying it.

She stopped unpacking. Her round, greenish-gray eyes fell on her roommate. "I... I know they dress the bed themselves." Her gaze shifted to her own bed. "But what if they didn't use sanitized hands to touch the sheets and covers? What if the bed was dressed three months ago? Imagine the layers of dust and germs feasting on that thing."

"This is a luxury hotel, Matilda," she said flatly, with a big eye roll. "Haven't you ever been to one?"

She hung her head and tucked a lock of her wavy, golden mane behind one ear. "I have." When she turned to open another bag, Jess spotted a brown birthmark under her left ear. "It's just that... it's the way I was trained. Since I was little."

Jess shrugged one shoulder. "Whatever. Feel free to do whatever you want to your own bed. It's not my business." She returned to stretching out on the soft, cozy mattress. Her nose pressed into the bedsheet and took a deep sniff. Ah... The smell of freedom. Though, not total freedom. But, at least, she was away from home.

As if summoned, her phone rang. The loud ringtone of Worth It by Fifth Harmony filled the silence in the room. It caused Matilda to jump and stare wide-eyed at Jess. The other girl reluctantly rolled to the edge of the bed, and reached for the handbag on the nightstand.

Her mom was the caller. She bit her lower lip, contemplating what to say, still staring at the screen.

"At least, stop the music," Matilda snapped.