(XXIV.)

Going skydiving after tearing eighty thousand people into pieces of flesh and bone, wasn't something every murderer did. But Eric didn't give a fück about what normal people did - or, in this case, killers' normal activities.

After scarfing down his hearty breakfast of goulash following his return from the cemeteries, he'd packed a rucksack and flown in his private jet to Colorado. He was sure that by now, the headlines were all talking about the Miami Night Massacre. They could talk all they want, they could speculate all they want. They were never getting close to the fücking answers.

Silly humans, he thought as he stood atop Castle Rock. They'd need the work of three powerful sorcerers to be able to pin the deaths on him.

It wasn't like he didn't care at all about the damage he'd done. He was trying hard not to. After promising himself to never unleash his inner beast again since 1903, he felt disappointed in himself for breaking his promise.

He didn't like breaking his promises, which was why he hardly made any in the first place.

Speaking of promises, he had one to fulfill for Adrian. The bàstard better be prepared when the time came, because he was going to serve him his portion of death in style, garnished with extra flair.

He closed his eyes and shut out the world for a moment. Peace of mind - what he'd been lacking lately. No worry, no insecurity. Just him and... the rocks.

He reopened his eyes, then geared up. Haha, time to take on the world. With a smile, he slipped on his goggles and jumped off the cliff.

It was a bit windy and chilly today. The air currents were wild. Yet, everywhere was silent. This was one of those moments Eric wished he was like the wind, freely flowing without any hold.

Even if he lived a nearly independent life compared to other seventeen-year-olds, he still felt bound. Not by his parents, but by the world around him. The laws that bound supernatural beings.

That he was a hybrid didn't mean he was completely free and powerful. In fact, his life was a lot more hellish.

Three hours later, he hiked the narrow, lonely trail to the back of a stone house. It was divided into two floors with a wraparound balcony on the upper floor. The back porch was decorated with fresh potted plants. Wild lilies and carnations studded the patch of lawn stretched out on the right side.

The back door flung open just as he placed his foot on the first porch step.

"Thanks for ruining my surprise," he murmured.

Nikolai chuckled. "I sensed you before you reached my backyard."

"How's Fiji?" He dropped his rucksack on the kitchen floor. The room was very tidy and completely furnished with every state-of-the-art appliance.

"Boring." He switched on the coffee machine. "Coffee?"

He nodded. "The usual. And the women?"

"Don't ask."

Eric's brows went up. "What happened?"

Nikolai narrowed his green eyes at him. "I said, don't ask."

Okay... "Any more gist about the Curtis family?" he asked as sat himself on a chair.

His friend gave him a long pointed look. "Hmm. This necklace, you still haven't told me why it's important to you."

"It's no concern of yours, Nikolai. Just give me the dàmn information I need."

"Nope." He leaned back in his chair, propped his legs on top of the table and crossed them at the ankles. "Not until you tell me what it's for."