(LI.)

Sorry for uploading late. Poor WiFi. Here's the next chapter...
*****

The first thing that dropped out of Jess' locker when she opened it on Tuesday morning, was a red envelope. She stared at the thing lying at her feet, for a moment, before she bent down to pick it up. She straightened up, and glanced around in the hallway, then at the vents on her locker door.

The envelope was thin. She felt it with her fingers. No hard object, just paper. Maybe a letter. On the front was a strange, intricate design that looked like a family crest.

Footsteps approached and stopped beside her. The person leaned against the next locker.

"What's that?"

She looked up at Karen. "I don't know," she said with a shrug.

"Lemme see." She took the envelope from her. The instant her eyes caught the crest, she gasped out loud. "The Hathaways."

One questioning brow peaked. "What about?"

Karen gave her an incredulous look. "Don't you know Dolin Corp?"

"I do. The richest and biggest tech company in Florida."

She gave her an 'are you serious?' look. "Not just in Florida. In all eastern half of US. They're worth several billions. A Hathaway got married to a member of the Danish royal family two years ago."

"I think I heard of that," Jess said in a bored tone.

"And each one of them has a net worth of at least, a billion dollars."

"Huh."

"If you have an envelope from the Hathaways," she chirped, waving the red object at her face, "then, it's got to be something big and special."

"Anyway, how's the thing with Steve? Did you guys do the club thingy again?" They left the lockers and headed to homeroom.

"Kinda." She pursed her mouth tightly and moved it to one side.

Jess took that sign as "things didn't really go down well". "What happened?" she asked.

"You know how he is, cold and distant, especially to the girls. Most of our female guests didn't appreciate his warm," she put air quotes with her fingers, "welcome. So, we'd have to reschedule."

Jess pondered for a moment. "If he's like that, why is he needing your help and hanging around you?"

Karen shrugged. "I don't know. I guess he tolerates me because of Doudall. I haven't asked him why, though. Let's just leave it at that."

Jess said nothing. They entered class and sat at desks beside each other. She glanced at her friend, and shook her head. Karen was very pretty—and the girl knew it—but she chased after the wrong guys. For example, Eric.

Speaking of the douchebag, she hardly crossed paths with him these days, which was a good thing. After all, she was trying to avoid him. Her temper was delicate whenever he was around.

Mr Esquivel came into class. The hubbub fell into a hush. He set his glasses properly on his nose, fiddled with the cuffs of his sleeves, cleared his throat, then began the roll call. That was his usual routine every morning, Jess had noted. She wasn't the only one, though. John had mentioned it one time at lunch.

Class began as normally as possible. Those on detention were reminded of their stay after school. When Mr Esquivel mentioned the upcoming dinner dance and Fall Expedition, the class was bustling with excitement once more that morning.