(XVII.)

July 9, 1853

One could say that the MacAshers mansion in Copenhagen was a barren graveyard.

No sound, no voice. Nothing.

Besides the occasional passing by of carriages, the cobbled street that ran in front of the edifice seemed deserted.

However, there were, in fact, three people living in it. All the servants had been put out of work, so the family got the tight privacy they wanted.

Last month, they'd found Albrecht Hertzog, a sorcerer who'd help Frederick cross the Veil into the Harem of Shadows. It had been difficult trying to get a willing sorcerer, due to the condition required for passage.

The assisting sorcerer would never survive the transition.

That way the location of the Gates was unknown. It was private knowledge, and there was no living person who knew of their location. Only the superintendent vampire powers within the Harem, and they were bound by an oath to never let any of the supernatural creatures under their rule in the Harem to have even a clue of such knowledge.

Frederick was the least anxious person about the whole transition stuff. He couldn't get his parents' paranoia, especially that of his mother.

"You'd have to take vervain again today, Frederick," his mother told him that afternoon.

He silently turned to face the window on the other side. His mom walked towards the bed and sat beside his lying form.

"We are to take every necessary precaution." She stroked his hair as she spoke.

He said nothing but relaxed to her touch. She was the only one he permitted to touch his hair. His dad wasn't the touchy feely type, except to his wife.

"Herr Albrecht will be here shortly for the next cleansing ritual. Have you practised your recitation?" His silence remained with his stare fixed unblinking on the window. "We've gone through this before, Frederick," she sighed. "You know how important it is to keep you away from this world. We are only an island of small fish in the midst of sharks."

"A vampire ought not be afraid of anything," he whispered softly. "Not even the sun."

Instinctively, her hand caressed the moon-shaped pendant dangling from her neck. "Sometimes, fear is the only thing that inspires our strength. Without it, we think ourselves invincible and consequently, fall prey to those simple things our fears should have conquered."

This time, Frederick turned to face her. "Fear conquers nothing."

She smiled at her eight-year-old son. "Sometimes, it amazes me how much your brain comprehends." She ruffled his hair and stood up to leave. "I have to prepare for Herr Albrecht's arrival."

Konrad met her at the foot of the grand oak staircase. "How is he?"

"Calm." She linked her arm through his. "As always."

"Albrecht sent a message. He'll be here in..." He paused and mentally calculated. "Ten minutes."

Chelsea gasped with agitation. "Little time to prepare." She zoomed away from him and into the kitchen. In five minutes, she used her supernatural speed and heating abilities to prepare a complete three-course meal.

The remaining time was used to convince Frederick to come downstairs. When he finally did, Albrecht was in the drawing room waiting. He went there immediately and let himself in.

"The sun never ages," the old man spoke as the boy approached him.

Frederick stood beside him and followed his gaze to the noon sunshine reflecting on the earth, outside the very wide glass window. He could see the meadow and pond behind the house, with ducklings swimming on the water and butterflies fluttering around the pretty flowers.