Chapter 7

The next morning, I get up early to go hunting with Wade

The next morning, I get up early to go hunting with Wade. I swear it's the only time he shuts up for more than five minutes.

I prefer to hunt by myself, but we are not doing this just for the fun of it. Usually, we sell the meat and split the money. Sometimes we are lucky and take down a big one or we take down more of the small game and then I'm glad he's there so it's not only up to me to clean it and to carry it to the truck.

Today I wanna keep some of what we'll kill. The lunch Lana made yesterday was so good I seriously consider to offer her the room for free if she'd cook for me regularly.

I haven't eaten a homemade meal in ... I don't even remember the last time I had a homemade meal. Sure I can cook meat over a fire or boil potatoes, but that's about it. It's not the same. I decided to keep some meat in the shed-freezer I got behind the house and tell her she can use it and see how everything goes.

I'm on my second cup of coffee when I hear Wade's bike.

I go to the window. It's still dark outside and I see the lonely headlight as he approaches the house. But he's not stopping where he usually does, he parks it right in front of Lana's window.

Has he forgotten there is only one possible room to be rented or is he trying to be a jackass on purpose? Why I'm even thinking about this? It's Wade, he's a jackass naturally, he doesn't need to try.

My eyes flick to her door before going back to the window behind Wade's dark outline. Her lights stay off, so she's either sleeping like the dead or she just doesn't bother to look. Either way is fine with me.

I move to open the door before the banging begins.

To this day I still can't believe that someone this fucking noisy is capable of being so quiet while hunting. Every time we enter the woods I wait for a shout, a branch snap... but nothing comes. He's a walking, talking mystery in some ways, my brother.

I don't have the door fully open yet when I hear him shouting. "Is that a coffee I smell? I'll have some before we head out."

Okay, trying to avoid the upcoming noise by opening the door was pointless.

"What the fuck, Wade! Are you even capable of being quiet? Oh wait, I know you are! So keep it the fuck down."

He gives me weird look, so I motion to the closed door leading to Lana's room and I see understanding settle in Wade's eyes.

"Oh, right, we don't want to disturb the missus," he says with a chuckle as he walks around me straight for the coffee on the counter.

"Shuddup! You are making noise enough to wake a dead person."

He doesn't say anything to that but only because he starts to laugh.

"What the hell are you laughing about, you dick?"

"You, being all considerate." He stands with his back to me as he's looking for a mug but I can see the shit eating grin as if he was right in front of me. He turns his head in my direction and, yes, it's there.

"Hey, she doesn't seem too bothered. Does it mean she's too tired after you fucked her good to make up for being a dick?"

What?

And he's laughing again. "I bet she can't even get up from the bed or walk if she does! Oh yeah, Monroe charm is what I see here!"

"I didn't fuck her. I actually want her to stay here." He doesn't get it and I had enough of his bullshit. I lower my voice, just in case. "Or did you want me to get a roommate for fun? To focus on something else maybe?"

He stops laughing then. Guess he did see his little whore friend at some point after her visit here. He's now drinking his coffee and eyeing me with a somewhat weird expression.

It's always like this. Most of the time he seems to block out who I am, or rather what I do, and then something reminds him and he just doesn't seem to know how to handle it. And I won't help him. I can't help him with it.

"What the fuck did you say that for? Are you on your period or something? I was just kidding, fuck! How am I to know you pass an opportunity like this." He seems genuinely surprised.

"Fuck you! You were the one who came up with the idea in the first place, you asshole! She's here for one reason only, so stop this shit," I hiss at him as I turn to grab my gear.

I walk out then, not wanting to listen to him anymore.

I put my things on the bed of my truck and go to turn on the cool-bot in the shed so the room is chilled and ready for the meat once we get back. As I'm standing in the small room I feel a little calmer. There is something relaxing about this place.

It was actually Wade who helped me to rebuild this shack. There are two rooms now. The first one has two chest freezers in it, one I use for me, one for the meat we sell if needed. The second room is basically walk-in cooler where I hang the game that needs to age some.

I switch off the light and head back.

Today I hope for a couple of deer. The butcher that buys from us asked for one. The other one I want for myself... and Lana, I guess, if she agrees to cook some more for me.

Rounding the corner to the front of the house I see Wade standing by the truck, smoking and the house is dark.

It looks like she didn't wake up after all.

"All ready?" Wade's eyeing me as I approach the truck.

I grumble a "yeah" and we are on our way moments after that. Wade doesn't mention Lana for the rest of the day.

 Wade doesn't mention Lana for the rest of the day

I hope you enjoy the story. If you do, feel welcome to push that little star to let me know, or better yet, leave me a comment ;)