Chapter 5

I don't know how long I've been driving around, but it must have been awhile

I don't know how long I've been driving around, but it must have been awhile. It seems to be late. I park by the curb and look around. I can't see any people on the streets anymore. Damn! I wait for a bit, but nothing. I am about to start the truck again and go back home when I see someone stumbling out of the bar across the street.

Two guys and a girl. It's dark enough on this side for me to watch them without being noticed. By the door of the bar, though, there are two lights so I can see them just fine.

One of the guys puts his arm around the girl's shoulder while the other lights a cigarette. They are laughing and as they turn in my direction I recognize them. It's two of the frat boys from the party last week at the quarry.

Assholes, thinking they're better than everyone else, like their shit doesn't stink. Well, it does. I'll have a proof of that fact soon enough.

For now, I just watch them. They are walking like they own the street or something. They turn left where I know is a parking lot. No windows around it as far as I know.

I decide to wait a little more and not too long after they disappear around the corner I can hear a car starting and a few moments later I see a Corvette leaving, it has a roof folded and only two people are in it. Excellent! I watch the car speed up and when it's out of the sight I start the truck and drive the little distance to the parking lot.

As I draw nearer I can see the other guy standing by a car, finishing his smoke. Dumbass doesn't even look up when I stop the truck near him. He's just making this too easy for me.

I put my gloves on, get out and check once again if anyone is around. Not a soul. I walk around the bed of my truck, stop to open the back of it and take the bar I keep there among other things. I leave the back door open and continue in his direction.

Hearing the noise, finally, he does look up. When he sees who it is, he gives me an uninterested glance and puts down the cigarette. He turns to his car while searching his pockets for the keys.

No time like the present, right?

I quickly move behind him and whack him on the back of the head. He goes down instantly, but I'm expecting it so I'm fast to catch a hold of him around his torso. I drag him to my truck, put him on the back and roll the bed cover above him before I gag him and tie his arms and legs. It's done in a matter of seconds.

I drive into the woods as far as I can with the truck. I leave it at my usual spot and continue on foot, carrying the guy on my shoulders like a buck.

When I reach my spot I think about the last girl that I had here. I shouldn't have thrown her into the river, she'll come up too. Wade tells me all the time to be careful. I'll have to find a pit or something.

I tie him to the tree like I usually do, take the gag out and go back to the truck to grab the light and a beer from the icebox I keep in there. The fog is heavy today, it always looks like the spotlight illuminate half of the forest when the fog is this thick. It doesn't really though.

When I come back I see the guy is still out. I hope I didn't hit him too hard, I'm not in the mood to wait all night and killing someone unconscious is no fun.

I hang the light, open the beer, take a mouthful, and slap him on the cheek couple of times. Come on, wake up.

It takes few more minutes but in the end, he stirs and his eyes finally crack open.

I move a bit back, to lean against another tree and watch him. He blinks, trying to focus. It seems I did hit him a bit too hard because he seems to not see properly. It can be the dark too though.

Painful groan pulls me out of my thoughts. He's turning his head slowly, first to the left then to the right until it goes in my direction and his eyes find me. Guess he can see fine after all. I think as he's staring at me, confused.

"What the fuck?" He's trying to grasp the situation. Tugging on his hands he realizes he can't move them and looks up, seeing them tied to the tree he uselessly tugs again. He tries his legs then, the same outcome there. His wide eyes snap back to me, the fast movement is followed by another pained groan.

"Where the hell am I? What's going on? Hey, I know you! You've been at the party last week, right? Don't just stand there like that, cut me loose!..."

And here we go again. He's trying to sound tough, but he's failing miserably. I just tune out and let him stew a little. When I bring my hand up to take another swig of my beer he notices my gloves and it seems to change his mood entirely. As if only now he realizes how screwed he is.

"Look, man, whatever I did that pissed you off, I apologize okay? We can work something out!"

Not so smug now, are we, huh? Asshole! I finish my beer, leave the bottle by the tree I've been leaning against, and then I go to him. I have the talk with Lana tomorrow so I have to cut our time together short.

He starts to panic and is furiously tugging on his restraints. "Wait, NO!, WAI-"

I grasp his neck with one hand and pin him to the tree. He tries to get out of my hold by moving as much as he can to the left, then to the right so I punch him in the stomach, just under his ribs where the solar plexus is, with my free hand.

He stills and tries to take a deep breath reflexively, but he just chokes. I punch him again and grip his neck with both my hands to squeeze. His eyes staring at me start to bulge out. I watch closely as I keep the hold. I wait for it and wait some more until I can see it, something in his eyes just died.

There! Now he gets it. That he's not going to get out of this. That he's going to die here.

I add more pressure, his body thrashes around and suddenly he goes limp under my hands. One quick move and I hear a crack signaling I successfully broke his neck.

It's like a weight is lifted from my shoulders and I take a deep breath, and again, and again. And it feels good. It just never feels as good as it used to. It's like trying to catch that high and it always slips away.

When I feel the buzz leaving my body I look around. It's too dark to search for the pit now. So I cut the ties and hide the body under a bush nearby. I'll just come back sometime tomorrow. It's not like people ever go there.

When I turn to the driveway leading to my house it's late night or rather an early morning.

As I come nearer I can see Lana's car, meaning she's still here and I can feel myself let out a breath I didn't even know I was holding.

I don't even look around on the way to my room and I pass out before my head hits the pillow.

The night did turn okay after all.

  I hope you enjoy the story. If you do, feel welcome to push that little star to let me know, or better yet, leave me a comment ;)