Chapter 7

"Good Morning, Janay." The irritating voice of my husband stirs the air in the kitchen.

"Good Morning." I respond curtly.

I slam the butcher knife down through the melon, separating the last two pieces.

"I see you slept in one of the other rooms."

"Breakfast is ready." The knife bounces off of the sink after I toss it in. Yes, I slept in another room that night and last night. Did this man reach out to me to say knick-knack-patty-wack? Not a word. I have been out and back for the past two days and not a word from him.

I know that losing is a part of the game and that I am his support. Yes I know that sometimes being his support means being his punching bag but that does not give him the right to disrespect me the way he did.

Chris' quick footsteps sound behind me.

"Janay, will you listen to me? I want to apologize."

My abrupt turn causes him to stumble back.

"You want me to listen to you when it's convenient for you? Right, that's what it is, huh? You say whatever you want and then when you're ready to apologize I should be ready and waiting for you. It hurt the other night, Chris, when you not only said what you but you had the audacity to close the door in my face like I'm some random woman. Not the wife who lives in this home with you and stands by you. So no, Christopher, I won't listen to you. And another thing, I'm not your mother. It would suit you to remember that."

It's not the first time that he has had a bad streak and takes it out on me. He's never said anything too hurtful, so I just take some time the next day for myself. At the same time, Chris always comes back and apologizes. This time, the slamming of the door...he really messed me up with that one. Slam a door in my face? Boy, get a grip.

"Kennedy, time for breakfast, baby!"

"Okay, Mama!"

I listen as her footsteps come down the hallway and for some strange reason, they are coming from my bedroom.

"Kennedy?"

"Yes, Mama?" I pick her up into my arms and rest her on my hip as we walk into the kitchen.

"Why were you coming from mama and daddy's room just now?"

She puts her index finger to her chin and looks to the ceiling. Ha! As if she's really thinking.

"Little girl..."

"Mama, I love you so much." She throws her arms around me and tucks her head under my chin.

"I'm sure you do munchkin." I kiss the side of her face. "Here, sit down."

"Morning Daddy!" Kennedy excitedly waves at her father who is placing the food in the center of the table.

"Good Morning, baby girl. How are you?" Chris leans down and kisses Kennedy on her forehead and she squeals and when he tickles her chin.

I can't help but smile at this, regardless of how frustrated I am with him, I love seeing him interact with our daughter.

"Um, Mama, don't forget about your uh, uh, uh..."

I look up to see Kennedy staring at her father.

"Forget about what, Kennedy?"

Her eyes flicker between her father and me. What is going on?

"Kennedy?"

"Date!" Her eyes shoot open, appearing proud.

"What date?"

"You have a date with Daddy today." This little girl plops a piece of melon in her mouth and then puts her thumb up to her father.

"Chris, did you put your daughter up this?"

"Well, you wouldn't talk to me any other way."

But you didn't try though!

I never have been the type of parent to fuss in front of my child and I won't start today, no matter how cut off guard I am.

"Kennedy, please take your plate and you can go and sit in the living room."

Her gasp fills the kitchen. I hold her bowl while she gets down and watch as she scurries out.

Now, back to him. I can't believe that he would bring our daughter into this.

"You have been avoiding me Chris. So please inform me of when you tried talking to me and I didn't listen. It didn't happen. Now here today you want to use our daughter to make me talk to you? Come on now, Chris!"

I fling my napkin onto the table and cross my arms.

"Janay," he drags a hand down his face. "I didn't know what to say. I was so wrong that I didn't know how to come to you and apologize."

"How and it sounds like you're doing it right now? You could have handed me a cup of coffee and apologized. You could have apologized to me when you saw that I wasn't lying in bed next to you the first night. Chris, I am your wife!"

My chest rises and falls deeply with each breath. I love this man; I feel his happiness and his pain with him. For him to disregard me the way he did really hurt.

Chris stands and sits in Kennedy's chair in front of me. His large hands encompass my small ones and bring them together between us. I look up to his eyes and even before he says it I can see it.

"I am sorry. I was wrong and I will try with all my might not to do that again. How I handled yesterday with you was uncalled for."

After a kiss on the forehead I throw my arms around him.

"I understand what I signed up for and can understand that you get frustrated. Just don't treat me that way again."

I squeeze him tighter.

"I forgive you." I whisper into his neck.

The sigh from him makes me smile on the inside. No, marriage is not perfect and mine is of no exception. Effective communication is an everyday practice and this came about from an error in communication. We express ourselves now and move forward.

"I love you, Janay. Always." he says into my neck.

"I love you too...now give me some sugar!"

And with that we erupt into fits of laughter.

#

Signed,

S. Waters