Chapter 32

~Kyouko's POV~

I poked my food and sat quietly as the girls and Makoto chatted. Makoto tried to bring me into the conversation but I would only reply in short answers. During the whole time, I could feel the girls staring at me while I eat. All I want to do is eat in peace, is that so hard to ask for?

"I know it's a little rude to ask but how's Haruhiko?" Makoto asked. I choked on my food slightly and glared coldly at Makoto. She knew well about how much I hated him. I hated Haruhiko more than I could ever hate the girls, I hated him with a burning passion. He was the cause of what happened.

I finally looked up from my food and looked at the girls. They looked down sadly and stayed quiet. "I'm sorry. Should I have not asked?" Makoto spoke up. Mai shook her head and smiled reassuringly at her, "No it's not that. It's just that Haruhiko. Well.." 

"We're not close to him anymore. Not after we caught him cheating with three other girls." Koito said with venom in her voice. "That's terrible," Makoto said with a frown. "We started dating him for a couple weeks after you two left but that's when we caught him. We broke up with him and he broke off all contact with us." Reina said with a shrug. I frowned slightly as I looked at the girls. I felt slight pity for them. 

"I'm sorry to hear about that," I finally spoke up. They look at me with their eyes widen with surprise. They blushed slightly and fidget in their seats nervously. "I-It's fine," Reina stuttered. I nodded and leaned back in my chair. Makoto gave me a proud smile and nods. 

We finished up our dinner and we had to wait for the bill. "Hey Kyouko," I heard Mai said. I faced her and replied, "Yes?" She looks at me nervously and gulps, "I-I want to apologize... For everything... Everything that I have said and done... I-I shouldn't have done those things. You were so important to me and I shouldn't have done it. And you still are important to me after all these years." 

I listened quietly while looking at her expression. She looked like she was about to break down as her eyes were forming tears. 

"I wanna apologize as well," I heard Reina whisper. I looked at her to see that she was already tearing up. "I'm so sorry Kyouko. I'm sorry I hurt you. I shouldn't have said those things. I wasn't thinking straight and I ended up hurting you more than I could ever imagine..." She said before she started breaking down.

I turned to Koito lastly. Koito was never the type to cry much but this time was different. Tears were forming in her eyes as she looked at me. "Kyouko, I shouldn't have ever let you go. I can't do anything without you... I've been a mess... I'm so sorry." She stuttered.

I looked at Makoto and who was already looking at me. She simply shrugs and I sighed. I got up from my seat, causing them to look at me. I moved slightly away from the table and opened my arms wide open. 

"Come here," I said, my voice hinting some slight softness and warmness. Reina was the first one to get out of her seat and go over to me. She hugged me tightly and buried her face on my shoulder. I hugged her back tightly while stroking her hair. She sobbed quietly into my shoulder as I held her close. Mai got out of her seat next and came over to me. She hugged me and buried her face on my other shoulder. I felt my shoulders grow wet from their tears. I stroked their hair comfortingly.

"Hey don't cry," I said. I could hear them muttering apologies over and over again softly. I sighed and held them close. I looked over to Makoto who smiled. Koito quietly came over and looked at me with her eyes full of tears. I was already comforting the other two by stroking their hair. I leaned over and gently kissed the top of her head. Koito hugged me tightly around the waist and buried her face on my collarbone.

Makoto chuckled and got up from her seat. "Come on. People are staring." She told us. The girls stopped crying and sniffled then went back to their seats. I sat back down in my chair and got a pat on the back from Makoto. "You did the right thing kid," She whispered to me and leaned back in her chair. I hope so.

"Hey. Just because I forgive you, doesn't mean everything is gonna go back to normal." I clarified. The joy in their eyes quickly disappeared and was replaced by sadness. "We understand," Mai said with her voice low. "Good. Because after what you guys did, there's no way things can go back to normal," I said, "You're going to have to earn back my trust again because right now. None of you have it."

They nodded in understanding and looked down. Makoto paid for our meal and got up. "Let's go Kyouko. We have a busy day tomorrow." She said. I nodded and got up as well. "We'll see you ladies around," Makoto told them and left with me following behind her.

"Kyouko, about what you said back there," Makoto said. I sighed and looked at her. "Look Makoto. I know you want me to make up to them and I will. But I can't just be all friendly with them after what happened. They lost my trust." I said. "No. I understand what you mean. I was going to say I'm proud of what you did back there and I understand if you can't trust them right now." She said.

I stared at her in disbelief. "Wow! The great Makoto finally agreeing with something I did?!" I fake gasped in shock. She rolled her eyes and shoved my head. I chuckled and wagged my tail happily while following her back to her house.