When I get to the auto shop I see Wade is waiting for me again. He's smoking and watching me like a hawk. The interrogation starts before I get out of the truck.

"So? How'd it go?"

"Good," I answer with a shrug. At least I think it went pretty well.

"Fuck me, I was sure she'd run away the second she'd see your ugly mug." He tries to joke, but I can see he's actually relieved and somewhat worried at the same time. 

He continues as we walk. "She's from around here?"

"I guess."

"So how old is she?"

I shrug again. "I don't know, looks young."

Wade looks at me sideways and tries again. "What does she do?" Another shrug from me and he stops in his tracks. "Did you ask her anything at all you dumbass?" He smacks me upside the head before I have a chance to duck.

"What the hell? What does it fucking matter where she's from or what she does? She's there, problem solved." 

He stares at me for a few moments, then shaking his head his eyes drop to the ground and I hear him muttering something but not loud enough for me to get it, I don't care either so I turn around and walk the rest of the way inside, alone. Asshole.

When I get home from work Lana's not there yet. So I grab a beer, turn the TV on and wait. 

During the day Wade didn't bring it up again, but he didn't have to. I know he's right, he always is. It's annoying but it doesn't change the fact I should have talked to her at least about some things before giving her the room. The last thing I need is a house full of her girlfriends having sleepovers or worse her worried parents looking for their little girl and find her living with me. She did look like she left somewhere in hurry. 

It pisses me off that I didn't think of that yesterday. Well, I can always kick her out. But I need the cover, so I better make this work.

I'm on my third beer and she's not home yet. I check the clock, almost 8 pm. It is Friday night, she's probably out with her friends or something. Just as I think that I hear her car outside. It stops and a few moments later the door opens and in she goes, arms full of bags. 

She looks tired but gives me a small smile anyway. With a quiet "hi" she continues to the kitchen as I nod a greeting. I hear her moving around, most likely putting away what she brought.

"Come sit with me for a bit when you're done!" I call after her.

"Okay!" she calls back. 

I look at the almost empty bottle in my hand. "Grab a beer for me from the fridge, will you? You can have one too if you want, I don't mind."

"Sure." I hear her reply. 

Yeah, having a roommate definitely has its ups, I grin to myself.

I look up at her when she approaches the couch a few minutes later. She has my beer in one hand and a soda in the other.

"I don't really drink," she explains giving me the beer. 

Well, let's hope it's by choice and not because the law forbids her to do so. Choosing the other side of the couch, she sits on one leg facing me, waiting. Right. Where do I start?

"How was the test today? You did okay?"

She looks surprised by this question. "Yeah, I think I did. I won't know for sure 'till next week, though." 

There is an awkward pause after that. I'm thinking about what to say next and she's watching me curiously. It's not like I'm making small talk every day, or any talk ever for that matter. Well, here goes nothing.