30 Darkness

A/N: Powerful music above. Feel free to listen.

A colossal, black cloud loomed above the Council Hall's ruins

A colossal, black cloud loomed above the Council Hall's ruins. When seeing it, Maeyune's breath escaped her, and dread filled her chest.

A silent voice reached out to Maeyune's mind. It was one of the familiar connections she had developed since childhood.

Trix's mind.

Only this time, an abnormal terror beset his voice. It was a tone she had never heard before.

Without hesitation, Maeyune dashed back toward the ground. She thought she heard Reo calling for her. But she had to reach the Council Hall. Something had speared fear into her heart, and she had to uncover the source.

She landed at the bottom of the hall's steps, yards away from the black mass that consumed the air. It was a heavy shroud of darkness. And it was moving, spreading to claim more of the area.

Why did it feel as if she had seen it before?

Her eyes found Trix and a few other soldiers standing at the top of the stairs. The dark smoke warped around them like arms, snakes.

Trix's skin had turned a gray shade and now displayed gruesome, dark veins. He clawed at his throat. He then met Maeyune's eyes, and his mouth staggered to form words. She listened to his mind.

It hurts.

She heard Benny's sobs.

Benny was on his knees, clutching himself as black smoke wafted around him. With horrified eyes, she saw the skin of his face begin to disintegrate.

But before she could react, before she could fight off the immeasurable shock that benumbed her senses, their skin melted, like wax on a dying candle.

She watched as their life forces disappeared in front of her silver eyes, watched as their bodies turned to ash.

She could no longer hear their cries. She could no longer feel their minds.

Their empty clothing fluttered to the ground.

She snapped.

"Trix!" she screamed. "Benny!"

In a panic, she sprinted up the steps. She did not get far. A golden light fell from the sky and landed beside her. A strong arm grabbed her by the waist, stopping her from entering the black fog.

With her dire need to save Trix and Benny, she took no notice of Reo. She fought against his hold.

"My friends are in there!" she cried, tears welling in her eyes.

"They're gone, Maeyune!"

She could hardly hear Reo's words. Her pulse deafened her ears and drowned out his voice.