~47~

John

She stood hackles raised, back pushed up against the kitchen sink. As far on that side of the room as she could get from me.

She- Clare Elliott, Cass Elliot's little sister, Gold Records for writing absolute crackers. California Dreamin' , Monday Monday and no doubt more accolades I had no idea of.

Hang on, I wasn't a prick in Mayfair. No John you probably were, you only gave Cass your time that morning. Anyone, or anything else  probably seemed inconsequential, especially as you were as high as Lucy in the Sky herself. Hmmm good point.

"67 wasn't a good time for me, Clare" My mumbled apology fell away towards the floor "I'm sorry, I was probably high as a kite, I was most likely a jackarse" She nodded affirming my tender.

"It doesn't matter. Not in the end, not now"

She grimaced sadly and I stood but warning flashed in her eyes, so icy blue. I froze on the spot.

"John Lennon...... I'm such an idiot. It was all there, I felt it, I had it on the tip of my tongue. I even told Paul that night"

"What night?"

She grinned big. Cheshire cat-like big. "The night he stayed for tea

Paul...... Paul. Macca. McCartney was the guy!... who came for fucking tea to fuck-

"He didn't!" She yelled, mad at me "God your eyes, all adding up to Paul and me. You're an idiot." 

Then she imitated me " 'No bloke just comes for tea, Clare'," grinning wryly she continued on "Very true in your case though, wasn't it"?

"I was jealous"

"But I'm a nobody John. Why would you be jealous?"

"Don't you know, can't you figure it out yet?" Right, steady on, lay all my cards down for her slowly, don't go bull at a gate, mate. I made a move toward her, she watched my feet then my eyes and I wished my heart was sitting raw and beating on my sleeve for her to see. "And you do make lovely tea"

Fingers found my arms before they found my cheeks, then she was slapping me "Clare, settle down"

"You could have revealed- you. You, you, you're married!"

"I told you...."

"Hmmm going to get divor-....... I can't do this, my brain will explode" She fiddled with my shirt buttons and slipped her fingers through the material, touching my skin.

"Clare.."

"What?" God, her fingers were so soft.

Anyway back to now.

I had a plan.

To retaliate against the schemers

"....wanna see Macca cry?"