~24~

Clare

I walk and walk, it's been about two hours and I drag the brolly scratching a mark in the dirt as I go.

I should have asked 'Mister Pleasant' for a lift or something but this is better for me- fresh air, sheep, hills, streams, hills, more sheep, ancient stone pitched low fences, more hills, more bloody sheep, a dozen or so, alright five, five streams and finally, town.

If you had been at the bottom of the main street you may have seen me do a jumping heel click, bumping my feet together mid-air in the joy of making it all the way here.

Higher stone fences met me as I walk closer toward town centre- people's homes, historic places with lots of stories to tell no doubt.

The roads' flattened out now and I pass the cute little pub Dellwood and wonder if they do counter meals for lunch. Terrace houses line the right- neat and tidy gardens all in a row. An older gentleman lifts his cap 'hello' and I nod and keep moving along the way.

I can smell the sea but I've only caught small glimpses of it on the way down the hill, the buildings hug closer, the stone a creamy light, mixed with darker sandy ones.

I hope the phone book said the right address as this is soooo far. I feel a tad apprehensive, its early but this is Scotland, land of the 4 seasons in a day. Bright sunshine might shine on me now but the walk home might be blustery and a tempest. 

The bright purple door and the similarly bright blue one beside it tease me, no not the post office.

I'm perplexed and as I swing around I can feel blisters popping up on my feet. I cross the street and look up and down, walk 'round the corner and come back, I must have looked a loon as a lady with a walking stick pulled up on the sidewalk to watch my show.

"Lost, lassy?" She called and I crossed the street to her, her accent rich and strong, thickly laced Scottish.

"Yes, I was looking for the post office?" I stood beside the very short stout lady as she hunched.

"Oh, that shut, last year"

"Oh"

"But the supermarket sorts the mail and deliveries now, round therrrr" She pointed the walking stick toward a green grocer "Come lass, I'll show you to Billy"

"Billy?"

"The lad that does the post, lass"

"Right, thank-you"

I stood centre pavement, the letter in my hand. Billy had told me a dozen stories and offered to accompany me to the dance next Friday night before I was handed the missive.

The postmark was from two weeks earlier but I wasn't here then, obviously. Jeff could just bite me if he wanted this, whatever it was, done in a hurry.

Dearest Clarentine,

Greeting from Birmingham.

Scotland really!?!

Always were looking for isolation weren't you...

Anyway, I need a few tunes (mate's rates please) even a shell of an idea for a movie in it's very early stages. So, the premises' is:

Goddesses ~Magic ~Love- young love present day And a love from ww2 era!

And Culminating in opening a night club!!

Sounds like riveting stuff doesn't it NOT, thus me passing it to you. You're a goOddess so good fit!

Take care, make sure you stop by in LA, will be there early next year, now that's exciting.

Love JLynne

Shoving the letter in my pocket I started my walk back, dreading the hills and the distance before I even begin.

Before I get three steps into my journey I trip on a pram, I hold it firm and make sure the little one is alright, her mother turning in panic.

"Clare!" Linda McCartney grabbed me in a neck lock and kissed my cheeks. "I was just about to pop over for a cuppa"

"Linda, what are you doing here!?" I grinned madly and said hello to the little one I now knew to be Stella. "Hello sweetie"

"I live nearby. Cass, asked me to sort the cottage!" Linda smiled and manoeuvred the pram and me off the path, out of the way of a dozen men walking up from the docks, the smell of fish lingered as they passed.

"Oh of course, silly me! Well I was just about to start walking back..."

"Just let me buy the papers and we'll take you"

My two hour walk took minutes and I cursed the blisters on my toes.

"This is nice isn't it, grass, cliffs, beach, quiet, so pretty isn't it Stell" Linda stepped onto the terrace as Stella pulled some flowers apart on the step.

I handed her the tea and placed mine on the table. Opening up the pack of cream biscuits, I smiled, offering the two ladies some.

"So, do you have a neighbour over there, or is it empty?" Linda stood looking across the expanse towards the other cottage, he was still out by the looks of it.

"I don't want to talk about that" I scrunched my nose and Linda immediately took interest.

I've known Linda since she photographed Cass, Michele, Den and John on the Tower Bridge in London, part of a magazine story about the group. "When did we meet, in London I mean?"

"67 just before I met Paul" She sipped and watched, then sipped again, thinking, always thinking. "So, the neighbour"

"Argh – horror trip all the way from LA, Linda! He conned me into driving him here in his rental- he didn't have a valid licence the twat" I sat beside Stella and picked up the red petals "Oh my god, you should see the ugly arse disguise he wore the whole trip, even this morning it wore his face like a tatty horses tail" I looked up and she lifted her eyebrows.

"So, love at first sight, then"

"My foot" I tickled Stella making her giggle "More like where's the shovel I want to whack his bloody head off" I placed the 10 petals in Stella's small hand, counting one by one to ten.

"So definitely love" Lin held up both hands in surrender as I glared "Right well, this one needs to get home for a nap. I'll call by and pick you up in three days"

"Pick me up?" I stood and Stella held my hand tightly, Linda pulled her sunglasses down off her head onto her nose.

"You're good with her, she doesn't usually play with people so easily" Linda walked through the living area "Stella come on luv, got to make cupcakes for the tribe!"

"Linda, three days??"

"Dinner, come see Paulie, he'd like to see you. Always had a soft spot for Cass and you"

"Well that would be lovely. Yea ok, I'll be ready, what time?"

"oh 'bout 4- 4.30" She strapped the little girl in the car seat and shut the door. Turning she was again grabbing me in a hug "Be gentle on the neighbour, he might have some horrible affliction under that horses tail"

"OK I will but if he nicks my cigarettes again, I'm finding a shovel!" I closed the car door as Lin did her seatbelt up "Drive safe. Bye, bye Stella!"

A little hand waved at me out the window as Linda drove off.

Wow Cass, sneaky bugger! Linda McCartney what a lovely surprise.