~16~

John

"Two rooms please" She asked politely of the lady at reception and I looked at the keys on the wall behind, one set. 

This wasn't going to end nicely.

"Sorry lassy, one room-one bed take it or leave it" The big woman leaned on the desk, she wasn't going to put up with any bother.

"Fine, one room" Clare almost snatched the keys and took the stairs two at a time. She was cold her body rattling, mine was too but I was behind her watching as she shook.

The door opened and it was tiny, one single bed, one kitchen chair and a small bathroom, guess we were lucky for the bathroom. I resigned myself to the floor, no not Norwegian wood plain pine. I sat on the uncomfortable chair as she showered. Having gotten a spare blanket out of the drawer before she went in, I guessed the outcome, but smiling made my teeth chatter.

"Did you leave any hot water!" I was beyond livid. She took ages, like an hour, the water running down the drain and away; into some stupid loch no doubt.

"Stop complaining there's water left" She shuffled out and held the blanket close as I passed, the dip of her breasts disappearing as she grasped firmer.

Oh, there was hot water alright. For about two minutes!! Just enough to warm my little toe. I climbed out from behind her bra, shirt and underwear and hung my own wet stuff up. I then shuffled out into the tiny room in my blanket wrapped body and she stood greedily in front of the small glowing bar heater hogging it.

"Get out of the way Clare" I grumbled shoving her and accidently standing on the end of the orange blanket she wore, she squeaked loudly then called me a very bad name under her breathe. I won't repeat it; suffice to say I have learnt a new word today "The water ran out, didn't it"

She still had the appearance of small drowned rat and looked slightly apologetic when I caught her eye.

"Sorry ok. Shift the chair to in front of the heater. I'll hang the shirts and that over it to dry"

"I'm still cold" My turn to whinge and she huffed looking at the bed, mulling over the predicament.

"Get in bed"

"No, you should"

"No you should, you're the coldest. Get in, that's an order Cap" She pushed me toward the bed,  pulled the bed linen down and I fell in like a larve in a cocoon.

She stood shifting legs, gazing out the window, the rain ran rivers on the glass, her hair frizzy and wildly free. The main lights went off and the bathroom was used. The loo's light flickered away to nothing and she shuffled.

I could hear her.

Shuffle, shuffle.

Closer, closer.

"Shove over, it's no good, I'm freezing" She stood by my head and I moved a little, not enough "Move. Now, Cap"

"Ok. Ok. Are you sure?" I was a bit frightened for my body parts, she was like imminent danger and destruction always. A bright red alarm going off in my head.

....She didn't speak, this was bad enough but speaking made everything tangible, real. The bed dipped and she put her arse toward me.

"Face the wall" She ordered.

"I can't.... I can't sleep like that"

She huffed and pulled the beds linen up and over us. Two cocoon blankets bundled in a single bed, I tried not to take her warmth I really did, but I was freezing, still shuddering deep down inside, I guess she felt pity for me 'cause she let me spoon her, pushing back into me. 

I wanted to lose my hands around her tummy, draw the warmth out of her but my damn coocoon blanket held me hostage.