~22~

Clare

"Right I'm off for cocoa and marshmallows" I jumped down beside Cappy, feet thudding in the damp sand.

"Want company?" He queried softly as I wandered back up the beach, tipping toes in the shallows. 

Company for Cocoa, why not.

"Sure" I walked backwards as he approached and I suddenly felt very alone and vulnerable, hugging the throw close I spun and marched off toward the cliff, not waiting, not dwelling, not glancing back.

"Shit that's a damn climb and a half!" He heaved and puffed as we hit the grass, careening toward the terrace and a seat at the table, I hid the fact I was just as bad, shuffling past into the kitchen, throw tossed on the sofa.

"Imagine by the end, you'll be fit as a fiddle" I laughed from the kitchen.

"And you, I heard the lungs screaming in you too, Clare" He teased throwing it back to me over his shoulder as I walked out with a pack of marshmallows under my elbow, held tight at my side. I had picked them up at Heathrow and shoved them in my bag, squished now but edible. The cocoa warming my fingers as I held the handles, placing the mugs in the centre of the table.

"I thought I hid that horrid gasping..... bugger"

I nodded toward the sunrise an orange blush touching the cheeks of the sea nearly ready to greet us proper. I bit a marshmallow and savoured the soft creamy sweetness, then reached over to his face, he shot back in his chair "Lean forward, Cappy" and he did.

I fixed the right side of his 'beard' his eyes shining and wide open waiting for me to rip it away. It had been all gathered along the edge where it stuck to his cheek.

"One day" I mused and turned back to the sunrise.

"What, riddler?" He tapped his beard down flat to the skin on his cheeks. 

"One day you may uncover the real you....to me"

"Yeah sure, when you do the same"

"Touche'" I saluted the sunrise with my cocoa as she beamed away.

"What's the plans for today?" He stood one foot planted on the grass and one on the step below mine.

"Sleep, a few walks, eat, a very full day. You?"

"Out to see me mate"

"Well, have fun with your boyfriend" I had to joke, we were being civil, it was way too weird.

"Jealous?"

"Of you, or your boyfriend?!" I walked back to the door, holding the handle.

"Of me"

"No, I wouldn't want to be your boyfriend! Byee" I shut the door quickly leaving him scowling at the step.

I crawled back into the wonderful soft snuggly bed. Mmmmm.