76

Harry POV {past}

I stand in my Uncle's auto shop with my earbuds in, doing an oil change on the fourth car today.

What startled me is a hand that taps my shoulder. I take my hands out of the car and take out my earbuds. I turn around and see my Uncle Seth, with a man I haven't seen before.

"This is my friend, Patrick. He will be working here this week. Patrick this is my nephew, Harry." My uncle introduces us. We shake hands, and I smile softly to the man in front of me. He looks like he's in early forties. Small creases are on his forehead and his eyes are a light brown. His hair is a light brown as well.

What catches my attention is a girl who stands beside him. She looks young, maybe sixteen. Her hair is pulled into a messy bun and her eyes look to me then to her Dad. She's wearing a grey sweater and leggings that fit her well. The girls eyes look like a light blue, but they're probably hazel. Her lip goes between her teeth and a faint smile rests on her pink lips.

She looks oddly familiar, and I don't know why. Maybe I've met her before.

"Uh, this is my daughter, Eve." Patrick tells me. His eyes stare at me causing me to look away. He's very intimating.

Eve extends her hand out to me and I shake it. "I'm Harry," I introduce myself. She smiles at me and detaches her hand from mine.

"Her brother is picking her up in a few minutes," Her Dad says to my Uncle who is standing beside me.

"It's no problem," My Uncle says with a smile. "There is a black Honda Civic over there that needs to be fixed..." They begin to talk about the car while they walk over to the other side of the shop where it is.

I look back to Eve who's staring at the car I'm working on. "Do you like cars?" I ask her.

"I want a car, if that counts as liking them," She says. I chuckle at her words.

"Are you old enough to drive?"

"I am. I have my provisional license," Eve says. That means she's sixteen.

"Why can't you get a car then?" I ask curiously.

"My Dad doesn't want me to drive," She says while looking over to where her father is. "When my brother Mason leaves the house I'll probably get his car," She tells me with a small grin.

I examine her face. I know, I know her from somewhere. I just don't know how I know her.

"Anyways, I'll let you get back to work." Eve dismisses herself.

"It was nice meeting you," I say.

"It was nice meeting you too," Her voice is peppy and kind sounding. She turns her heel and walks away.

After a few minutes I resume my work and put my earbuds back in.

Eve POV

I'm sick.

It's Thanksgiving and I have a cold. I'm all congested and I feel like death; I probably look like it too.

I'm currently in bed watching TV. A pillow is in my arms and I'm tired. When I'm sick I just feel like sleeping all the time.

I look to the doorway and see Harry walk into our bedroom running his hand through his brown hair. "How are you feeling?" My boyfriend asks me.

"I feel like shit," I cough into my arm. "How are you?" I ask.

"Don't worry about me," Harry says as he sits down beside me.

"How bad do I look?" I ask him.

"You look beautiful," I roll my eyes at his answer and nudge him.

"I don't feel it," I say while laying back.

"I called your Dad saying that we won't make it to his house," Harry informs me. I frown.

"We can still go," I say through a cough that burns my throat.

"Eve, you'd get everyone sick and get a headache by how loud it is," Harry tells me while resting his hand on mine.

"But-"

"We're staying home," His lips kiss the top of my head.

"I go to the shelter every year to help feed homeless people, now I can't and I feel like shit." I say with a shrug.

"You can help during Christmas," Harry says to me.

"It's not the same," I mumble. My head is pounding and I press my hand against my head.

"Do you have a headache?" My boyfriend asks.

"Yeah," I mumble.

"I'll get you some medicine. You take your cold one in an hour, I believe. Your soup is heating up as well. When Anna was here this morning, she made a big batch of chicken noodle soup for you," Harry tells me. I nod with a gentle smile.

"Is Doug fed?" I ask. Usually I feed Doug and Harry walks him.

"He ate and I walked him. Everything is fine, don't worry," He kisses my cheek and smiles at me. "I'm going to get the medicine for your headache and check on the soup, I'll be right back," Harry says while looking at me. I nod.

"Thank you for helping me," My voice is hoarse and raspy.

"No need to thank me," His hand squeezes mine and a gentle grin rests in his lips.

Harry leaves our bedroom and I adjust my pillow and lay back down.

Is it odd that I feel bad that Harry's taking care of me? I'm so used to always being on my own when I'm sick, and I don't know how to feel about someone taking care of me. I'm just being my normal anxious self. I let out a sigh and look back at the TV.

A://N

hello

i got pinterest today and it's very fun haha , that's off topic so anyways

comment goal: 70??? that would be cool if we got that :)

tysfm for 170k reads. it amazes me how many people read this book and who are starting to. thank you all for reading, commenting, and voting. I love you all!!

~lauren