49

Eve POV

Doug starts barking at the person that is knocking at the door. My eyes sting.

"Eve, I know you're in there. Just answer the door." Johns voice says. It doesn't sound friendly or nice. It sounds tense and deep.

My hand goes over my mouth and my hands start to shake. I'm glad I locked the door when I got home.

I slowly reach for my phone that's on my end table in the living room and put it in my jean pocket. I slip on my shoes as well as grab my car keys and my small wallet that holds my cash, credit cards, and ID.

I can leave through the window in my room. It leads to the parking lot. I just need Doug. But he won't stop barking.

I go on my knees and open my arms to Doug. I wave my arms towards my body so he gets he should come over to me. His barking stops and he runs over to me. I wait a while before picking him and attaching a leash.

The knocking turns into banging making eyes well up in my eyes out of fear. "Eve, open the door. I won't do anything." His voice says other wise. I end up walking to my end table and my eyes widen at my lamp falling and breaking.

Way to go Eve.

I slowly walk to my bedroom. The floors are creaky and I know John can hear me walking around because he bangs harder and talks again. Each time he speaks he sounds more and more angry making me more and more scared.

I open my bedroom window. I step out on my emergency staircase thing and close the window behind myself slowly. I start quickly going down them and rush to my rental car once I'm at the bottom. i'm so glad i let harry talk me into getting one for the week.

My hands are so shaky that I couldn't even put the key in my car door to open it. I feel tears sting my eyes and some roll down my cheeks.

Once I managed to put my car key in the ignition I drive away.

***

I ring the doorbell to the apartment I'm at and hope he's home. My foot taps against the floor under my feet and my hands still remain shaky. My front teeth graze over my bottom lip and my body feels numb almost.

The unknown number that kept calling me at my Dad's barbecue was John. Makes sense.

The door is pulled open with Harry behind it. "Oh, hey." A small smile is on his lips.

"Hi." I manage to say.

"What's wrong?" His eyebrows knot in confusion.

"Um." I pause. My hands won't stop shaking. "John was at my apartment." I manage to say.

"Come inside." Harry says while opening the door more.

"I uh should've c-called." I stammer. "A-Are you busy?"

"No. You're fine." He holds my elbows. "How did he find out where you lived?"

"Kris told him." His eyes darken and his jaw turns tense. "Only because she saw a gun in his pocket." I add.

"Why would you go to your apartment if you knew John knows where you are?" Harry asks me.

"My um, plan was that after work I get Doug and go to a hotel for a few days. I sat down because I felt like I was going to have a panic attack since I know he's been watching me for the past year and a half. I was sitting down for too long and then he was at my apartment." I explain. "I didn't want to leave Doug behind to starve." I mention.

"Why would you go to a hotel and not to me?" His green eyes look into mine.

"I didn't want to assume you'd just let me stay here for a few days." I say. My voice remains low.

"You stay here like five days a week anyways, Eve. I don't want you to waste money on a hotel when you need the money for yourself to live off of." My teeth bite the insides of my cheeks nervously. "How did you leave your apartment?" Harry asks me.

"I have the emergency staircase thing in my room." I say. "I did that. A-And I took Doug with me, if you didn't see him." I ramble briefly.

"I hear him, so I know." I can't even laugh even though what Harry said was funny.

"I feel like I'm bothering you. I can leave, I just didn't know where else to go." Tears start burning my eyes.

His arms wrap around me and he holds me protectively against his chest. "You're not bothering me, Eve. I'm glad you're here, okay?" His lips kiss my cheek.

"I haven't been this scared since I left. I thought he would forget about me by now." I hold onto Harry who has a tight grip on me.

"You're safe here, okay?" His fingers run through my hair. "Did you bring any clothes?" I shake my head 'no'.

"I should've I just couldn't think of anything besides Doug, my phone, keys, and wallet." I admit.

"It's fine. You can borrow my clothes to sleep in."

My head rests against his chest. "I need clothes for my internship tomorrow, fuck." I mutter against him.

"Don't worry about it, okay?" Harry says.

"I've already taken off enough days I can't-"

Harry breaks away from our hug and his hands cup my cheeks. "Don't worry about it, okay?"

I bite my lip. His thumbs wipe away the tears stained on my cheeks. He kisses my forehead and temple. "Go lay down in my room. You need to relax."

"I feel like a mess." I admit. "I'm sorry for bringing you into this." My eyes sting.

"You have nothing to be sorry about, Eve." Harry says while stroking my lower back with his thumb. "I would rather have you here then answering the door to that lunatic."

"I'm not bothering you?" I ask timidly.

"You could never bother me." His lips kiss mine for a brief moment. "Go take a bath, yeah? Those relax you." I bite my lip and nod. "I have new towels in there and you left the bubbles you like. They're still in the shower."

"Okay."

"I'll leave some clothes out for you to change into so you don't relax in jeans." His eyes fall to my pants.

"Thank you." I say while hugging him. My head nuzzles into his chest.

"You don't need to thank me." Harry kisses my cheek.

A few moments later Harry walks to his room and puts a tee shirt and boxers out on his bed for me to change in to.

"I was planning on running to the office real quick to drop off some files. Do you mind being alone for twenty minutes?"

"No, I should be fine." I say.

"Anna will be over in ten minutes to cook dinner. I'll tell her to text you first so you don't get scared." I nod and bite my lip.

His hands grasp my cheeks and he presses his lips against mine. "You're safe here Eve. Don't worry about anything, okay?" I nod. Harry kisses my cheek. "I'll be back soon. If you need me my phone is on."

"Okay." I say. I kiss his cheek and he soon leaves his apartment. I head to the bathroom and close and lock the door behind me.

What if John has been following me here? Or the publishing office?

I shake my head and start running the bath. I let out a deep sigh and close my eyes.