48

Eve POV

I'm back at the diner.

Harry and I got back from my Father's house Sunday afternoon and relaxed at his apartment the rest of the day.

Currently I'm picking up the dirty dishes that rest on the empty tables I just waited.

I ended up telling my three brothers before I left to come back to the city about what happened between John and I. They were all silent and stunned. The one who seemed the most upset was Mason. He cried which made me tear up because he usually never cries.

"Hey." My friend Kris says beside me. Her voice is less peppy and happy.

"Hello." I say with a smile. "How was your weekend?"

"Okay." She mutters. "I gotta tell you something though."

"Okay, what's up?" I ask. My smile is still on my lips.

"John came by my apartment yesterday." Kris says making my blood run cold.

"What did he do? Or what did he say?" I ask.

"He wanted to know where you were." Kris tells me.

"What did you say?"

"At first I said I didn't know, I haven't talked to you in a year."

"And?" I ask worriedly.

"He said that was bullshit because he sees us at the diner working together." I drop the plates on the table and they all break. Kris starts helping me pick up the pieces.

He's been watching me?

"What else did he say?" I manage to ask. I didn't work at the diner when we were together. I worked at the bookstore near his apartment.

"He wanted your address." Kris murmurs.

"Please tell me you didn't give it to him." My eyes look to my friend in a panic.

"I told him no, at first." Her voice lowers. "But then he started moving closer to me and running his hand down my body. I didn't give in until I saw a gun in his jeans." My body freezes. "I'm so sorry Eve. I-"

"Don't be sorry, I understand Kris." I say honestly.

"I feel like a shit friend. I shouldn't have told him still."

"I don't want you to get killed so he wouldn't find out where I am." I say while staring at her. "It's fine, I'll um, deal with it." I gulp down the lump in my throat and walk back to the kitchen with the broken dishes I broke.

*Flashback*

John is at work.

I've been pushing off this day for a long time. I thought he might change, but he hasn't.

Today I'm leaving.

I'm staying with my friend, Kris for a few days. She just moved to the city and John doesn't know where she's at.

I have only my car keys and clothes with me. Everything else I'm leaving. I know he tracks my phone, so I need to leave it.

I'm leaving behind is my apartment key and the bracelet he got me for my birthday. That's the only present he's ever given me through out our years of dating. He gave it to me before he ever started hitting me, so I assume that's why.

I hope he'll get the hint to why I left those things behind. He always yells at me when I don't have the bracelet on. He calls me ungrateful when I don't, so I always where it unless I'm cleaning the apartment.

I check the time and it's three o'clock. John comes home at five. I take my suitcase that has my clothes and open the door.

My biggest fear is that he will still find me and hurt me more than he already has. I need to leave for my own sake. I haven't had the balls to leave until now.

I close the door behind me and start down the porch stairs quickly. I put my suitcase in the car and get in.

Once I'm buckled I drive away, not looking back at the building that gave me the worst memories that I hope I can forget about.

*End of Flashback*

I sit in my apartment paranoid as ever.

If I could think of a word greater than paranoid, I would use it.

Maybe he didn't hear Kris say the address. Maybe he didn't get the whole thing.

What makes my heart race is the sound of my door bell going off and a few hard knocks that soon follow.