STEP ZERO: I Like Big Books And I Cannot Lie

Any writer will tell you that reading books is one of the most important stages of writing any book. So if you read a lot of books, the chances are you'll write a better book. What reading books by published authors does is teach you simply how a book can be structured, and how a writer can hold a plot line for 60,000 - 100,000 words (approx.).

If you read enough, you start to see patterns in books within your genre; these patterns tend to revolve around plot structure and devices as well as language. Gather from your favourite books what made them great and see if you can incorporate that idea within your book without plagiarising directly. Say your favourite book included an amazing plot twist, see if you can create your own one to use within your book.

As well as reading books you know you'll like, read outside your comfort zone. To this day I will say that I was not the writer I am today before reading Classics. While they can be boring in places, I learnt the true skills to planning, plot, and language from Hardy, Austen, and the Brontë sisters.

You want to read so many amazing books that you can't even answer the question 'what's your favourite book?' because it places you within a serious crisis.

If you're planning on writing a book in which you want to publish one day, pay close attention to what best-selling books do to gain them the following they have. Maybe watch some interviews with your favourite authors in, and pick up tips from great authors through watching interviews or searching for quotes from authors.

A genuine passion for literature and books will make you the best writer you can be, so read as much as you can!