STEP FOUR: Hi, my name is... NO

Starting a book can sometimes be challenging. Do you jump straight into action or slowly introduce your characters? How much detail should you give in that first chapter? It can leave some writers staring blankly at a piece of paper or screen while writer's block slowly washes over them.

The problem simply is that we're all overthinking it. While a first sentence is vitally important within a book, the first thing you write down doesn't need to be the final thing that gets left within the book. There is something called editing in which you can change things you're not happy with.

The first line of any book will probably be changed a few times before a writer sees it fit for the book, so don't stress if you feel like your first line is weak. If you are struggling with finding a way to start, look at how famous books have been started and gather inspiration from those first lines.

The only thing I would suggest to stay away from is the cliched 'My name is...' as it will turn off some readers; instead maybe start with a line that dives the reader straight into the action or a line that sets the scene for the book. Sometimes a single word can be a powerful opener to a book.