Chapter 8: From the shadows of the night....

Astrid's P.O.V

"Today were going to be working on fighting." Hiccup said as he stood infront of us with Toothless. 

"Fighting?" Fishlegs asked.

"Fighting," Hiccup repeated, "we rely on the dragons more than we are aware of. You all need to be able to defend youselves when your dragons aren't with you. So I want you to send you dragons out of the arena so we have enough room." 

"Can we choose what weapon we use?" Tuffnut asked. 

"No, for the next few days we are going to be working with different types of weapons." There were a couple of groans and a snort from Snotlout. "Ok Snotlout since you seem to be very confident in this exercise, tell me, what would you do if you were surrounded by 5 Outcasts with only a dagger by means of protection?"

"Umm, I would run at them and knock them all out." This brought a laugh from Heather, something that was becoming more and more regular.

"Anyone else?" Hiccup asked in exasperation.

"A dagger is a short blade which means it's hard to attack your oponents if they have a sword or something. So most of the time you would have to be on the deffensive," I paused to think for a second "it would be easier with the dragons of course, but if you were by youreself then I would try and take down the weakest gaurd and take his weapon, which would hopefully be more useful than a dagger."

"Thank you Astrid" Hiccup said giving me an approving nod.

"So we are working with swords today, everyone get in pairs and spar against each other until one of you is overpowered." Hiccup said gesturing to a crate full of swords behind him "try and find a sword that is a good balance." 

I rushed over to the crate and pulled the lid off. I eyed the swords grabbing a sword with a gleaming silver blade and hand and a half metal hilt. To my surprise the blade felt perfect in my hands, I tossed it up into the air as I often did with my axe and caught it perfectly. Everyone was now scrambling to get swords, Hiccup had already unsheathed his Gronkle Iron sword he had made years ago. I looked at Hiccup's blade, and then back at mine, I realised they were both made of the same thing. I smiled turning the sword slightly so that it shone in the light, lucky me, grabbing the one sword in the box that was Gronkle Iron. Hiccup, noticing me smiling as I surveyed the sword, walked over. 

"Why are you smiling?" he said slightly amused 

"Gronkle Iron" I said showing him my sword. 

"Don't tell the others" he whispered in my ear. Ok deep breaths.... in... and out. I tried to ignore the proximity between us. He drew away before I had the chance to move first. 

"So everyone get in your pairs and go for it" he called smiling a dazzling leaders smile at everyone. 

Ok hmmm partners, Willow would be the ideal partner to spar with, she was light and fast on her feet, and we were about the same hieght. Oh well she had gone with Ruffnut, who just so happened to be my second choice. I didn't trust myself to spar with Heather incase it got a little out of hand, she was already sparring with Snotlout, who was loosing misribly and did NOT look happy about it. Fishlegs reluctently partnered up with Tuffnut. 

Ok so that left me with.... 

Oh 

My 

Fricken 

Gods 

Hiccup turned to me but before he had a chance to ask I said "you know what I think i'll just sit out for this round."