Chapter 1: The Thawfest Games.

Hiccup's P.O.V

"What is this, Astrid Hofferson is overtaking Snotlout." I heard Mulch shouting through the yak horn as I ran as fast as I could lugging a sheep on my shoulders. "They're drawing to the finnish line and... it's Astrid... No it's Snotlout... No Astrid... Snotlout... And Astrid crosses the finnish line a good few feet in front of Snotlout." 

I passed Fishlegs and the twins and was closing in on Willow, I overtook her and sprinted the last few strides to the finnish line. 

"For the first time in almost 10 years, Snotlout has lost the sheep lug!" Cried Mulch. 

"Well that was a surprise" Said Bucket into the horn. 

"Yes it certainly was. Well congratulations to Astrid!"

I chucked the sheep down on the ground, it jumped off and ran over to Snotlout and Astrid's sheep. 

"And next up the Log Role, competitors prepare yourselves." 

We had a small break in which everyone went to congratulate Astrid, accept Snotlout who was surprised and angry that he had lost. 

"Good job Astrid." I said to her walking over to her. 

'Thank you Hiccup." she said cooly. 

I sighed, the last month had been one of the hardest of my life. The first week when we would pass each other in the sky she would imediatly fly in the oppisite direction. Eventually she had just stopped going for morning flights. Training for the academy was also hard, when I tried tp give her tips she would take them without comment. She didn't help me with running the academy anymore and I had left the duty of deputy dragon trainer to Willow, who understood the dragons better than any of the others even Fishlegs. I was at training less and less now, I was too busy with my dad who was trying to teach me all the things I would need to know to become cheif in 4 years. 

Astrid won the Log Role, I came third. Which wasn't that bad, at least Snotlout was to busy trying to beat Astrid that he didn't make fun of me. I knew he wouldn't dare annoy Astrid, she was too violent. She had changed the last month... and it was my fault. 

"And now onto the Axe Throwning." shouted Mulch. "Currently Astrid is sitting in first place with two pionts." 

I was the first to throw and was so close to hitting the middle that I cried out in frustration. 

"Oh so close Hiccup, this is how you do it." Snotlout sneered. 

He threw his axe but instead of hitting the bulseye it swerved and hit the outside of the ring. Fishlegs was closer than Snotlout's, Willow's even closer, the twins were fighting over an axe so they got disqualified. And of course Astrid hit the barrel perfectly, her axe sliding three inches into it.

"And again first place goes to Astrid Hoffersen." Mulch cried over the excited roars of the croud, it seemed I wasn't the only one who had got sick of Snotlout winning all the time. "Thankyou everyone for supporting our teens today, the dragon events commence tomorrow at dawn." 

The next day

Astrid's P.O.V

Wow I was pumped, I was ready. Wooooo! I would kill these hurdles. 

"Next up Hiccup." Mulch shouted into the yak horn. 

I wanted to say good luck or something but...I couldn't. Don't let it show I said silently. 

I stared as stonily as I could as Hiccup and Toothless walked up to the first hurdle, he looked at me and gulped. 

Hiccup passed perfectly, it was my go.