Chapter 19: Back to a Double Life: Part 1

Start from the beginning

He inclined his head. "If you're sure."

"I can handle it, Severus, but if things get messy I will need your wand there too."

They parted ways and broke into elegant runs with their robes flying behind them.

-/-/-

The first thing he did was to send the message to the minister by flue. While the man came, he went to his stores and picked up the veritaserum vial without taking the time to read the label. It was the privilege of being an organized man. He made it back to Dumbledore's fireplace in time to see the minister cleaning his robes.

"Professor Snape, I was expecting Dumbledore to give the prize to the winner."

"There is no time for that. Accompany me, sir, if you please. Dumbledore and Potter are in danger." He didn't wait to see if the man would give him a word back and headed towards the Dark Arts Office. He heard the minister following behind him as he took his wand out of his sleeve.

When he slammed open the door, he saw the headmaster immobilizing Moody against the seat and Potter in a half-conscious state at the side. With his wand up, he rushed towards them. He uncorked the vial in his other hand before Dumbledore could claim his attention.

He forced the man to open his mouth, poured the transparent liquid inside it, and then held it shut.

He smirked when he felt the man swallow, and saw Minerva's ropes tying him tighter against the chair.

The minister came to their side.

"What is the meaning of this, headmaster?"

Albus turned to look at the minister.

"With the goblet's odd behavior we've suspected someone was involved with it. We'll know who it is in a moment."

Severus took the man's flask and smelled it. "This is polyjuice," he muttered and raised his wand towards "Moody". "Revelio!" A gold light erupted from his wand and hit the man.

Barty Crouch. How is it possible?" Dumbledore asked.

"Wasn't this man at Azkaban? Perhaps Black wasn't the only one to escape last year," the minister said.

"My father freed me because of my mother's plea. He hated me, but he did it for her. He left her in Azkaban and used polyjuice until she died to keep the disguise." Crouch licked his lips, a bit of spit coming out of the corner of his mouth with the actions. "Then I killed him. I put Potter's name in the goblet. I serve the Dark Lord and helped him return." He looked at Snape. "I'm not a traitor like you that scurried away. I gave glory to the Dark Lord and almost did what no other could. I almost killed that pathetic boy that stole our lord's power. You did nothing when you could have."

He wanted to punch the man in the face, but held his temper in check. He held the eyes without changing his expression at all. He felt the eyes of the minister and Minerva on him, doubting him.

"Where is Alastor Moody? Did you kill him too?" Dumbledore asked.

"No, he is alive in the trunk. I needed a fresh supplement for the Polyjuice potion. I took the other ingredients from Snape's stores. It was easy since he tends to blame Potter for everything."

Dumbledore moved over to the trunk and opened it.

"Minerva, stay with Severus. Minister, I assume you want to take this man into custody and to interrogate him further. He is our proof that the Dark Lord came back and that he'd used Harry Potter. Alastor and Harry will come with me to the infirmary. They need attention," Dumbledore ordered in his characteristically subtle way and everyone agreed.

When All is Lost One is FoundOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara